Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 19, 2012, 03:45 PM
    Where were you on April 22, 1970?
    That was the first Earth Day. Did you join in with all the celebrations, plant a tree, pick up trash, begin to recycle, go birdwatching, and learn new ways to make our planet a healthier place? Please share!

Here's the rest of the April newsletter's Earth Day article --

In 1970, Wisconsin Senator Gaylord Nelson proclaimed April 22 to be “Earth Day.” More than 20 million people participated in this spectacularly well-publicized event that gave birth to the modern environmental movement.

The counterculture plus demonstrations against the Viet Nam War attracted students who picked up environmental messages from rock lyrics. New York City's Mayor John V. Lindsay put the full weight of his influence behind a mindboggling Earth Day celebration. For two hours, Fifth Avenue was closed to traffic between 14th Street and 59th Street, bringing midtown Manhattan to a virtual standstill. Philadelphia, Chicago, Los Angeles, and many other major American cities were also scenes of Earth Day rallies. People were finally realizing that the Earth's resources are finite.

During the months that followed, Senator Nelson pushed through U.S. environmental legislation that included the preservation of the Appalachian Trail, the Clean Air Act, and the Clean Water Act. The EPA was founded in December of that year and gave the federal government more clout to curb environmental decay in the United States.

Today Earth Day is officially celebrated on April 22 around the world with marches, rallies, concerts, festivals, street fairs, clean-ups, planting and other environmental events with over 22,000 partners in 192 countries. Earth Day is unofficially celebrated every day of the year as residents of communities all over the world join together to solve local issues such as defective landfills, hazardous medical waste, polluted rivers and streams, littering, and noise pollution.

Celebrate Earth Day this year by learning how to identify plants and trees of all kinds while using this sticky Identifying Plants in Gardening & Plants.

Remember –
    Every day is Earth Day, wet or dry, cold or hot. Let's help save the planet –
    it's the only one we've got!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 19, 2012, 04:28 PM
    Despite living in Berkeley CA in the late 60s and being pretty crunchy, I was back in Boston on 4/22/70, probably working at some dreary job and oblivious to Earth Day. That was a Wednesday?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 19, 2012, 04:57 PM
    Kathleen Rogers, president of Washington, D.C.-based Earth Day Network, which was founded by the original organizers of Earth Day, said April 22, 1970, was chosen for the first Earth Day in part because it fell on a Wednesday, the best part of the week to encourage a large turnout for the environmental rallies held across the country.

"It worked out perfectly, because everybody was at work and they all left," she said.

From Earth Day Facts: When It Is, How It Began, What to Do
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 09:45 AM
    Where was I? -- have been trying to remember.

Since I had my first child later that year in mid-November, I must have been newly pregnant, in my first trimester, and throwing up in some bathroom somewhere. I do vaguely remember the hoopla surrounding the first Earth Day, but didn't participate in any events, since I was too busy working for State Farm and keeping house (and dreaming about chubby little cheeks).
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 21, 2012, 03:19 PM
    At the time I was in private school in 8th grade, and I remember having special projects and observances. The school actually went "all out" - we had seminars on zero population growth (which as the rage back then), malthusian "doomsday" predictions, and water & air pollution ( I can't remember of Lake Erie was considered "dead" at that point or not), and did some trash pick up. It was a big deal.
    DaniCalifornia Posts: 655, Reputation: 152

Apr 24, 2012, 03:50 AM
    LOL. My dad was only a month old.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ok, I was born in 1970... [ 0 Answers ]

... and remember a kids TV special where the toys were taken from the children and coved in 'glustick'- a hard plastic substance. Does anyone remember this show or am I making it up? I think it was a Christmas movie but could have been a different holiday...

On April 1 08 ken issued a par value 50* $ 1000, 11% bonds maturing on April 1, 2013 [ 2 Answers ]

on April 1 08, ken issued at par value 50 * $1000, 11% bonds maturing on April 1 2013. Interest is paid on April 1 and October 1.. What are the adjusting entreis for this:

I had unprotected my last period on April the 20th, and my last day was April 25th. O [ 1 Answers ]

I had unprotected my last period on April the 20th, and my last day was April 25th. On April 17, I had unprotected sex, but after that I had my period. On Tuesday April 27th, and Thursday, April 29th I had unprotected sex. On April 29th I took the after morning pill. On Saturday, May 1, I started...

My date of period is 3 April 2010, I have done intercourse on 17th April and took I p [ 3 Answers ]

My date of period is 3 April 2010, I have done intercourse on 17th April and took I pills next day after that I have done again intercourse 29 th April but did not take I pills this time. Now is the date 13 may and didn't get my periods, home pergnecy test come positive. Am I perganent? Reply

View more questions Search