Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    raynman Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2007, 09:14 AM
    No ip address
    I have a computer that is only a year old and for some reason it has lost it's IP address and I have heard from our dsl carrier that we have to pay to get a new IP address. Is there some other way around this?

[edit] by the way... this is for another computer. I can't get on the internet because, as the dsl carrier said, the ip address is bad and we need a new one.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2007, 09:18 AM
    You've got an IP address, I can see it (only moderators and admins can see it).

To confirm what it is, click here.

Feb 22, 2007, 09:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ
    You've got an IP address, I can see it (only moderators and admins can see it).

To confirm what it is, click here.
    sorry, it's not this computer. Its another one in the house and I can't get on the internet because, as the dsl carrier said, the ip address is bad and we need a new one.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2007, 09:34 AM
    Aah, OK then. Sorry about that, but we have a lot of beginners here posting, so I did not know it was about another computer. Stay tuned, there are some experts here who may have a suggestion.
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

Feb 22, 2007, 09:47 AM
    Most cable and DSL providers will give you a single IP address with your service. You can get a second IP address from them, usually for a few extra bucks per month. This isn't the best option, though.

What you should get instead is a router... this will allow multiple computers to share a single IP address. Both computers will connect to the router, and the router will, in turn, connect to the modem. From the DSL company's point of view, you'll still only have one device connected to the internet.

If they aren't already, you'll want to set your computers up to use DHCP, so that when they connect to the router, it will automatically configure them. You will need to connect to the router (the instructions that come with it will tell you how to do this) to configure it the way your computer is currently set up.

Feb 22, 2007, 01:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosnosna
    Most cable and DSL providers will give you a single IP address with your service. You can get a second IP address from them, usually for a few extra bucks per month. This isn't the best option, though.

What you should get instead is a router... this will allow multiple computers to share a single IP address. Both computers will connect to the router, and the router will, in turn, connect to the modem. From the DSL company's point of view, you'll still only have one device connected to the internet.

If they aren't already, you'll want to set your computers up to use DHCP, so that when they connect to the router, it will automatically configure them. You will need to connect to the router (the instructions that come with it will tell you how to do this) to configure it the way your computer is currently set up.
    The thing is we have a router and in fact that computer that has the issues is the one that the router is connected to. Is there some way we can get around this?
    l99057j Posts: 57, Reputation: 18

Feb 22, 2007, 02:02 PM
    If you are posting from another computer in the house that is connected to the router (either wired or wireless) then the router is working.

I'm going to assume you are using Windows XP. Try the following...

Click "Start"
    Right-Click "My Computer" and choose "Properties"
    Click the tab that says "Hardware"
    Click the button that says "Device Manager"

You should see a list of device types. One of them will be "Network Adapters". If there is a plus sign next to it, click it. Underneath "Network Adapters" you should see one or more adapters listed... do any of them have an exclamation mark next to them? If so, double-click that one and tell us what it says in the "Device Status" box.

If that isn't it, try the following...

Click "Start"
    Click "Control Panel"
    Double-click "Network Connections"
    Right-click your network connection and choose Properties
    You should see a list in the box that appears. Look through that list until you find "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Click it and then click the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Click it and then click the " button.
    In the next box that appears, make sure "Obtain an IP address automatically" button.
    In the next box that appears, make sure "Obtain DNS Server address automatically" and selected. Reboot and see what happens.

Feb 22, 2007, 02:09 PM
    Are both computers connected to the router, or just one? To get the full benefit of the router, you should have both computers connected to it.

If both are connected, then you'll need to change the configuration on the computer that doesn't work. To do this, simply open up the properties for the internet connection, then open the properties for 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' entry in that window, and select 'Obtain an IP address automatically.' This should solve the problem.

If only the non-working one is connected, then disconnect the working machine from the internet completely, reset the router and non-working computer, and see if it works. If it does, connect the working computer to the router... both should work at that point. If the non-working one continues to not work when the working one is disconnected, check to ensure that it's configured as described in the previous paragraph. If it is, then you'll need to log into the router (as described in its manual) and configure it to connect to the internet, using the settings described by your ISP (most likely setting it to 'Use DHCP to obtain an address' or 'Obtain an address automatically', or something to that effect... different brands and versions will use different terms for the same thing).

This should get you fixed, I think. And you're right, they'd probably rather you pay the extra 7.99/month (or whatever rate it is), but they can't really do anything about it.

Feb 22, 2007, 03:45 PM
    Thanks guys. Still isn't working, though. I have tried everything suggested.

Any other ideas?

Feb 22, 2007, 03:48 PM
    How is everything connected currently?

If you connect the non-working computer directly to the modem (as the working computer currently is), does it work?

Can you connect to the router from the non-working computer?

That will give us an idea of how to proceed.

Feb 22, 2007, 04:06 PM
    How is everything connected currently? non-working computer connected to the dsl modem, dsl modem connected to the router. other computers through wireless means.

If you connect the non-working computer directly to the modem (as the working computer currently is), does it work? it is connected that way

Can you connect to the router from the non-working computer?

That will give us an idea of how to proceed.

Feb 22, 2007, 04:09 PM
    Unplug the non-working computer from the modem, and plug it instead into the router.

You may still need to change the TCP/IP settings as described before, but the above should cover the main part of your problem.

Feb 22, 2007, 04:23 PM
    I'll try it.

Feb 22, 2007, 04:32 PM
    OK, I'm a dummy.

I was wrong with the set up.

Dsl wired into dsl modem>into router (linksys wireless router) and the ether cable running from router into non-working computer.

Feb 22, 2007, 04:43 PM
    Not a dummy... it's easy to make a mistake following all those cables around :)

All right, that's the way it should be wired up. We know the router is fine, as the other computers can connect just fine.

Try plugging the ethernet cable into a different port on the router. Disconnect it completely and put it back into the socket... sometimes you can get a bad connection in the socket, and re-seating the plug will fix that. Make sure that the little light is on both on the computer (directly beside the port the cable goes into) and the router (on the front side... there should be a number near it coinciding with the number of the port on the back that you're plugged into)... that will tell you if there's a physical connection.

Do you have another ethernet cable? Try using it instead of the current one.

Ensure that the network connection is enabled on the non-working computer (you should be able to see the status in the Network Connections list under Control Panel).

Feb 22, 2007, 05:21 PM
    Here's what I noticed.

Light was on either end of the ethernet cable. It was orange going into the computer, don't know if that matters.

When cable is unplugged and then replugged, it shows on the computer that it has happened. It shows that there is also limited or no connectivity.

When I select to repair the connection, it gives the message:
    "windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: renewing your ip address.

It will show duration of connection and speed (100 mbps) on the local area connection status.

In the network connection details, it has an IP address & subnet mask but no default gateway, dns server or wins server.

I moved from port one to port 2 and even rebooted but it didn't help anything.

Does this help spur any ideas?

Feb 22, 2007, 05:40 PM
    That error message makes it sound like your computer is not set to get an IP address automatically, or that the connection to the router isn't good.

Verify once again that the computer is set up to obtain an address automatically (I know, I sound like a broken record on that, but it's absolutely necessary). Then try a different cable. If you don't have a spare, use the one that runs from the modem to the router (making sure to switch it from the 'internet' port to one of the numbered ports). Try repairing the connection again... if it works with the other cable, then you had a bad cable.

Feb 23, 2007, 02:12 PM
    That error message makes it sound like your computer is not set to get an IP address automatically, or that the connection to the router isn't good.

Verify once again that the computer is set up to obtain an address automatically (I know, I sound like a broken record on that, but it's absolutely necessary). Then try a different cable. If you don't have a spare, use the one that runs from the modem to the router (making sure to switch it from the 'internet' port to one of the numbered ports). Try repairing the connection again... if it works with the other cable, then you had a bad cable.
    the computer says its set up to get IP address automatically. I have even deselected it and re selected it hoping it would force it to do something, but it didn't.

I tried another cable, even went out and bought another one just to be sure, but it didn't work either.

So... any other ideas?

Feb 23, 2007, 02:33 PM
    I don't know if this helps or anything, but the computer was fine until someone tried uninstalling a program... I think it was cyberpatrol.

Feb 23, 2007, 02:44 PM
    Have you tried reinstalling that program? Since it's an internet blocking program, there may be issues with an improper uninstallation. It seems like a long shot, but I'm out of ideas :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Global address list groups members missing in Outlook address book [ 0 Answers ]

Hello All, When I view a group in global address list in Outlook , address book group Does not display the members. My company use exchange 2000 server, and client use outlook XP or 2003. Does anybody experience the same thing and/or know why this is so? Thanks a lot for your help and...

Excel: change relative address to absolute address [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, In Excel spreadsheet, how to change relative address to absolute address for many cells at same time? I know how to use F4 to do the change, but it is not an option when I have to deal with the addresses in a 150 row x 50 column table. Thanks, Wei

Ip address [ 2 Answers ]

I have two routers one behind the other. Yes I said two routers, one is a wired and the other is wireless I had to make some changes and now I can not get the wireless router to issue any ip address to the systems on it. The address that are given out is the ones that are default for the system in...

View more questions Search