Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lostwarrior Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2012, 12:57 AM
    generators output power
    As I understand, please correct me if I am wrong, the generator is composed of a motor and an alternator. The motor output is mechanical, i.e. rotation of the shaft, and this drives the alternator, which in turn outputs electricity. Lets assume power output of the motor is 1000 kW and the alternator efficiency is 95% so the electricity generated is 1000 kW* 95% = 950 kW. This 950 kW is delivered to the load (machines, lights etc). Where does the concept of generator kVA come into all this? Manufacturers quote generator output as kW and kVA. What is kVA ? Furthermore of the 950 kW delivered to the load, how much is useful electric power that the load can make use of and how much is lost in the circuit? Is that represented by the power factor? Lets assume 0.8 power factor, am I right in saying the useful electric power delivered to the load is 0.8* 950 kW = 760 kW and 950 kW- 760 kW = 190 kW is lost in the circuit as dictated by the power factor?

Check out some similar questions!

An amp has an input power 5mW the output power is 100mW what is the decibel gain? [ 0 Answers ]

Amp has an input power 5mW the output power is 100mw what is decibel gain

Trouble shooting petrol generators with erratic voltage output? [ 0 Answers ]

My next door neghbours bought a new Honda 6kva generator which runs on petrol. About 3 months ago now while powered on the voltage will suddenly drop from 220v to 0. What could be the cause is it strictly an AVR issues?

Power outage Generators [ 7 Answers ]

Got my house pretty well up ;and running, with your help.. Today was informed, Electricity will soon be cut to 4 hrs a day.. so back up generator may be the answer.. Question is, how to tell what size genarator should I get.. Got a 150 Amp Svc, Elect stove, Washer, dryer, water htr, AC about 4...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.