Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ibbetty2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2012, 03:43 PM
    Can I sue my sister for the return of my father's ashes in small claims court
    I have repeatedly asked for the return of my father's ashes in addition to other property from my sister that is holding them hostage. There's a long story here and one that's not worth repeating, so is this something I can ask her to return?
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Apr 18, 2012, 03:48 PM
    Without knowing why you aren't getting the return of your father's ashes, and property from your sister, all I can suggest is to go and see a lawyer. Depending upon the value, maybe small claims court is an option.

I presume that because you are asking for the return of these items, that they were in your possession at one time.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2012, 05:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ibbetty2 View Post
    I have repeatedly asked for the return of my father's ashes in addition to other property from my sister that is holding them hostage. There's a long story here and one that's not worth repeating, so is this something I can ask her to return?

Legally Jake hit it right on the head - you refer to "return." Did she somehow take them from you?

Why would this property, including the issues, belong more to you than your sister? That will be an issue.

And, yes, you can sue anyone for anything. Winning is another matter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I sue US Bank in small claims court? [ 3 Answers ]

When I exited bankruptcy 4 years ago US bank solicited a loan for a used car under a program called 722 redemption. I had a car delivered 3 days later, without signing the loan docs. 1 week later US Bank rep calls and says and says that I am not qualified to have that van, the payments are to high....

Can you sue for libel in small claims court [ 25 Answers ]

Libel suit in small claims court?

What should I sue him for in small claims court? [ 5 Answers ]

I took my boat to be repaired 7 months ago and he said it would be ready in a month. We have gone back and forth with his excuses(he has a real sick family) and I don't think it will ever be finished and I certainly don't trust his work to be complete or correct. I gave him $1500 down with $500...

If a petitioner looses in small claims court can you sue again [ 5 Answers ]

I was the petitioner in a small claims case. I lost. The defendant is the only one that can appeal the judges decision. I need to know if I can sue the person for the same thing or does it have to be something totally different.

Can I sue for defamation in CA small claims court? [ 6 Answers ]

2 months ago I was fired for talking about hockey during the NHL Stanley Cup playoffs (I workd as a temp for 6 mos). The conversations didn't prevent me from doing work (it was slow & I finished all the work given to me), my ex-supe just got fed up and demanded that I never talk about hockey again...

View more questions Search