Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    danceforme123 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2012, 10:25 AM
    Messy Room
    My daughter's room is never clean for more than 10 hours. How can I fix this ? I was thinking of starting allowance but personally I do not believe in paying a child for something they should have done on their own.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 18, 2012, 10:28 AM
    It really depends on what you class as clean.
    Also what age is your daughter ?

Apr 18, 2012, 10:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    It really depends on what you class as clean.
    Also what age is your daughter ?
    12. She never has a clean floor, doesn't make her bed and there are clothes everywhere. She is not respecting the space she is given.
    alex_jov0109 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2012, 10:30 AM
    Start taking things she likes from her.

Apr 18, 2012, 10:33 AM
    [QUOTE=alex_jov0109;3088662]Start taking things she likes from her.[/

Ive tried this and it doesn't work on her. She just replaces that thing with something else she loves. I was thinking of paying her per week. If her room stays clean all week, she gets four or five dollars. Is that reasonable?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 18, 2012, 10:34 AM
    Like Ben asked, how old is she? My mom had to first teach us kids how to clean our rooms. She helped us make the beds or change the sheets, made sure there were shelves and baskets and boxes and other places to put our toys and books, then helped us at first put things away. When she was satisfied we knew what to do, she let us do it on our own, but checked up to make sure we had done it correctly, i.e. stuff was off the floor, bed was made, order had been restored.

Kids won't know what you expect unless you show them first.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 18, 2012, 10:38 AM
    Remember that POSITIVE enforcement works better than NEGATIVE.
    So Reward good and acceptable behaviour and ignore bad.

So, her room is a mess, so what. She has to live with it, you do not.
    Don't do anything to her room, YOU are not to tidy it or anything else.
    In fact make it clear you will not enter her room unless you have clear floor to stand on.

She'll soon start tidying up when she doesn't have clean clothes or can't find something she wants..
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 18, 2012, 10:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    She'll soon start tidying up when she doesn't have clean clothes or can't find something she wants..
    Unfortunately, that isn't always true. My husband and his four sibs always had messy rooms and would just grab whatever clothes were lying on the floor to wear to school. They would literally wade through debris (school papers, dirty clothes, toys, books, etc.) as they walked around in their rooms. (Those without spouses to pick up after them or yell at them still live this way.)
    alex_jov0109 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2012, 10:47 AM
    How old is she? You don't want to give her money for somethimg she HAS to do. Don't her used to that instead you should reward her with something else take her to the movies buy her something etc..
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2012, 12:58 PM
    Does she ever have friends over? Nothing like a little peer pressure in the right direction of course.

At 12 she is just heading into those teenage years, now is a good time to lay down the law, have you thought about taking her mattress away? Her door? Extreme I know ( its works, I did it with mine).

Let her know what's going to happen if she does not clean her room, give her a deadline, if she does not do it you do it, but take EVERYTHING, clothes, books, TV, everything! Gradually give them back as she shows she can respect the space in your house.

I'm not going to say she'll take it on the chin, most likely she will kick up a fuss, but stick to your guns this once and you probably won't ever have to do it again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

She just went through a messy breakup [ 17 Answers ]

Recently I asked a coworker out and was given the answer that she had just gone through a messy breakup and was avoiding the dating scene for right now. Now before I get flamed for falling for a line, I had overheard her talking to a coworker a few weeks ago (I wasn't eavesdropping, I happened to...

Messy Divorce In Pennsylvania [ 13 Answers ]

My daughter is in a messy divorce. Her attorney told her whom ever stays in the family home will have custody of the children. Is this true? Her husband is still living in the family home with her and her children. He refuses to leave. He said, If he leave then he is deserting the home. And will...

Messy Roommate [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all. I am the owner of a house that is in the process of selling. I would love to start showing the house to perspective buyers, but have a roommate that has the messiest room I think I have ever seen, and is never home to clean it. What can I legally do to get this room clean for...

Very messy breakup [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone, long time viewer, first time posting anything. My name is T.J. and I'm 19. Ive just recently tried to begin the healing process of a very messy breakup with my 18 yr old ex ( we were together a year almost to the day). One day my sister was saying how she heard my ex had at...

View more questions Search