Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ms.navarrete Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2012, 08:51 AM
    My ex is asking for social security number of my child
    My ex n I have been separated tor 4 years now, we have not file for divorce yet because of financial problems. We bouth decided that kids will live with me n see him on weekends. Now he is asking for my dagters ss# to get her a sycologist, because he things all this has affected my child. I see my child okey " normal 7 year old", she lives with me, I know better than him because I see her everyday, at school she is doing great. Do I have to give him the ss#? Or can I refuse?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 18, 2012, 09:43 AM
    I have no idea why he would need a SS# to get her a psychologist. There is no law that would require you to give him the number
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 18, 2012, 09:48 AM
    Of course he can get it as the legal father ( no divorce so he has equal rights as you)
    He can get it from the SS office if he wants it bad enough. I would assume he can also get it off past tax forms that he can access.

Also since there does not appear to be any written or court ordered child custody paper work, he may be preparing for a child custody case, showing he asked for her to see a psychologist and you refused treatment and would not provide him ss number and so on.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2012, 04:50 PM
    My daughters father has her SSN. I see no reason why he shouldn't. He needs it for taxes, for the doctr, and any other number of things.

Is there a reason you don't want him to have it?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2012, 05:44 AM
    I don't understand why you won't give it to him - is this worth the argument?

Who claims her on income taxes?

I note that you are intending to take this child (and apparently other children) out of State without notifying the father - https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/family...nt-651672.html. Why is thiis becoming so confrontational? Are there other issues?

Your children are going to suffer if the bickering over non-issues continues.

And, yes, if the father pays for health insurance for the child he needs (and is entitled) to her SS information.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New born child social security number [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Experts, I have a new born daughter (dependant on me, born in Oct 2009). I am still waiting for her Social Security number. Can I file my tax returns or do I have to wait until I get her social security number that is needed to be filled on the 1040. Regards, Reena

Claiming a child w/o social security number [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter was born abroad, and it takes so much longer to get paperwork back for official paperwork. If I don't have her social security number back soon, can we still claim her on our taxes without it? If so, how?

Social Security Number for SPOUSE and CHILD : USA [ 2 Answers ]

I moved to USA on Dec 17, 2007 along with my family. I am on L1 and dependents are on L2 visa. SSN administration denied to provide SSN to my spouse and kid since spouse is non-working. My question is how would I claim for tax benefits while filing the TAX returns, because On-line...

Social Security Number (L1 to H4) [ 0 Answers ]

Need help on the below situation One of my friend had come to US on L1 visa and got social security number during her work. Then she went back to india. Now she is coming back to US but this time on H4 visa. So my question is can she use the same Social Security Number for H4 that she had...

View more questions Search