Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ShonaB Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2012, 06:06 AM
    Legal rights of a mother
    Do I have to give my son his fathers name if we were not married and have since separated?
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Apr 18, 2012, 06:24 AM
    You can give your son your maiden name. This is perfectly legal since you were not married.

Shirley
    ShonaB Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2012, 06:28 AM
    Can the father legally force me to change the child's name to his?

Apr 18, 2012, 06:30 AM
    If you were not legally married I do not think he can force you to do so. He would have to do a paternity test which you do not have to agree to and than he has to go to court to get it ordered. If he is proven to be the father than it would be up to a court to decide, but it would be a court process and you would have a right to say why you do not want the child to have his name.

Once a child has been given a name it would be very hard to have it overturned.

Shirley
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 18, 2012, 08:09 AM
    The mother can name the child anything she wants ( at least in the US)
    The father may file suit and try, but has little chance of winning if they are not married.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2012, 12:18 PM
    Where is this? FrChuck is correct - the MOTHER picks the name. You're the mother, you pick the name, your HUSBAND doesn't like it, he would have to take you to Court to get it changed. Being married or not married does not matter.

Stranger things have happened.

And as far as being overturned, I've seen the father demand a name change and have the request granted following Court-ordered DNA. Doesn't happen often - but it does happen.

Apr 19, 2012, 01:25 PM
    One thing to think about. The court does not care about you nor about the father . The court will always do what they think is the right thing for the child.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2012, 01:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildsporty View Post
    One thing to think about. The court does not care about you nor about the father . The court will always do what they think is the right thing for the child.

Excellent addition and something I forgot to mention. Absolutely very important.

Apr 19, 2012, 01:32 PM
    Yes, I have two adopted children and I had to fight for them. I spent 3 years in court. They are not my natural born children but they are my sons.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How would a mother who incarcerated sign over all legal rights of a child [ 3 Answers ]

My ex girlfriend is currently incarcerated and in exchange of me dropping the domestic charges against her she will sign over all legal rights of my daughter to me? What legal documents are required to do this and what steps will need to be taken?

Legal rights of mother in law [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for some advice I am married to a wonderful guy who has kidney failure we are waiting for a transplant for him we have got in touch with his mother + told her But his mother is a money grabbing woman I'm just wondering if she has any rights to our home which we share or anything for...

Mother wanting to give up legal rights [ 2 Answers ]

I have an eight year old son. In which I was married to his father up until a year ago and am still going through a evil custody dispute. He has turned my son against me and has had him make up several lies about me. I have done everything for him but to leave him once the abuse started. My son is...

Legal rights of a mother [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter has lost her rights of her son on a temp custody to her mother in law.Can the court pernamently sign him over to her?She has sign temp custody to her.

Mother Signing Away Legal Rights [ 3 Answers ]

My husband had a baby with a woman seven months that wants nothing to do with the baby. She hasn't seen her since the day she was born. She is willing to sign away her legal rights, how much would it cost her to do that? If it's possible.

View more questions Search