Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bluedicius Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2004, 05:41 PM
    Gas and solution stoichiometry
    I've been asked this question:
    What volume of carbon dioxide gas at 100kPa and 35C is produced by the complete reaction of 50mL of a 0.200 mol/L baking soda solution with excess hydrochloric acid?

And this is what I've started with for solving it.

NaHCO3 + HCl --> NaCl + CO2 + H2O

CO2
    v
    100kPa, 35C (35 + 273K)

I don't know if I'm right but with what I have so far but, what I'm wondering is
    What do they mean by 'is produced by the complete reaction of 50mL of a 0.200 mol/L baking soda solution with excess hydrochloric acid?' Are the meaning 50ml and 0.200mol/L of just baking soda or of just hydrochloric acid or of both?
    Thanks
    Amb_Tovan Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2005, 03:14 PM
    well, since n = cv

and your balanced equations indicates that everything is a one to one mole ration I believe it is the same difference using 0.200 mol/l as both concentration and 50 ml as volume. Since the mole ratio is one to one, both will have the same amount of moles eh?

The number of moles should be 0.01, you take this number and substitue into pv=nRT and the volume of CO2 is easy to find.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2005, 10:13 PM
    > what do they mean by 'is produced by the complete reaction of 50mL
    > of a 0.200 mol/L baking soda solution with excess hydrochloric acid?'
    > Are the meaning 50ml and 0.200mol/L of just baking soda or of just
    > hydrochloric acid or of both?

Means that baking soda and HCl are mixed, but there is more than enough HCl to completely convert all the baking soda... therefore the baking soda is the limiting reagent in this question...

They could've given you amounts and concentrations for the HCl as well and made you figure out which chemical is in excess... but this way is easier for you. You just use the baking soda numbers to get moles and solve. You convert temp and pressue to appropritate Si units, and with the # moles from the baking soda you can solve for V.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Gravimetric stoichiometry [ 4 Answers ]

Powdered zinc metal reacts violently with S8 when heated. Predict the mass of sulfur required to react with 25g of zinc. Bauxite contains aluminum oxide, which is decomposed using electricity to produce aluminum metal. What mass of aluminum metal can be produced from 100g of aluminum oxide? ...

BTB 1 % solution [ 1 Answers ]

How to prepare bromomotymol blue aquaous solution 1 % ?

Gravimetric Stoichiometry [ 1 Answers ]

What is the step by step to get the answer for the following question: How many moles of Oxygen has will react with 16.2 g of iron? If you could answer me that I would love it!!

Molarity of a solution [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone help me with this problem? A solution of calcium hydroxide required 26.42 ml to neutralize .914 g of potassium hydrogen phthalate. What was the molarity of the calcium hydroxide solution? This equation is given: Ca(OH)2 + 2KHC8H4O4= CaC8H4O4+ K2C8H4O4 + 2H2O The molarity of...

Buffer solution [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to do a buffer solution of sodium hydrogen phosphate and sodium dihydrogen phosphate but they won't dissolve. My solvent is H20 and both are soluble in water. Why would this be? What could be wrong?

View more questions Search