Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    inneedofcounsil Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2012, 05:33 PM
    Did I violate HIPAA?
    Hi, last day of my employment was on a Friday. I was unable to get all of my field notes in on time to my employer so I asked if I could keep my field notes and laptop for the weekend and return them in the following week. When I arrived to work the following week to drop off company laptop, my things were all piled into a box.When I got home went through the boxes and set aside my personal belongings and shredd anything I had left of client information. My ex boss says I have violated HIPPA for taking home client files my last day and has asked for me to return it is says she will prosecuting me for HIPPA violation. Did I break the law??
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 17, 2012, 05:55 PM
    HIPAA is not a criminal action. Violation of HIPAA may result in fines.

However, if you return the records as requested with the explanation that you were not aware there were records in the box until you got home. There should be no issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I violate HIPAA [ 4 Answers ]

I work at Women's Health Office and My best friend's 15 year old daughter came in and got a abortion, she didn't need her parents consent. Under HIPAA privacy rule, I cna't tell her mother. I want her mother to know. What should I do? Do I confront the daughter? I know keeping this to myself is...

Did I violate Hipaa? [ 11 Answers ]

I worked for two agencies caring for people with developmental disabilities. One of our clients that was cared for at job #1 left our agency and was being cared for by a different provider who I also worked for. He had an incident where he fell and he also choked on some food and staff did the...

Does looking up a co-workers family's obituary violate hipaa? [ 3 Answers ]

I had to leave the state last week for a funeral. One of my co-workers looked online to Find the obituary to see if he actually died and when. She took this to my superviser to Discuss. Since we work in a medical office and she did this at work and on the employers Computer, does it violate...

Did I violate this patients HIPAA rights? [ 1 Answers ]

I am the Supervisor of a POL. One of the employees of the X-Ray department asked me for a copy of her Mother's lab results. I refused, citing HIPAA regulations. The employee became very disruptive but I still refused to comply with her request. Because our facility has no clear protocol for...

Did I violate HIPAA Law? [ 2 Answers ]

I am a medical student and was in my last week of school when I had to finish this project. I was suppose to see how this patient was doing. He was still a patient at the hospital but out patient, and instead of going to his house I looked up what operation he had and how his physical theropy...

View more questions Search