Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Silvia Gonzalez Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2004, 05:27 PM
    First Vet's visit.
    I bought a Daschshund-miniture. She's got all her shots from where I bought her. I have her vaccination record. One thing that the owner at the pet store told me took me by surprise.When I told him that I was going to take her to the Vet as soon as I could, he told me not to. He said that she (who's 4months old) might catch some other dog's germs or infections.
    And the last thing he said really through me for a loop. He said, "If it's not broken, don't fix it."
    Is he right? Am I being an over protective Mom?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2004, 08:17 PM
    So what is he trying to hide? If you don't have other pets and an established relationship with a vet, the best time to start one is as soon as you get a dog. This way the vet has your name, and a base line exam of your dog. The vet can also look over the record from the pet store and make sure the store didn't neglect anything. In milder climates, many people are keeping the dog on heartworm medicine all your. In most states, you should be set until rabies at 6 months. That would be a good time to discuss spaying her.

Even with their shots, young dogs are vulnerable to diseases. It is best not to let her run where there are dogs you don't know how good of care they are getting. Take good care of her. The little dogs can have long active lives. Feed an AAFCO approved chow and no more than enough to hide her ribs. Dachshund's backs can't take over weight. See http://www.purina.com/dogs/nutrition.asp?article=292.

Take you little dog seriously. She does. Do you want a really nice little dog? With somebody the right age in the family, 4-H dog training is a great idea. In my area, clubs form soon after the first of the year. Even many urban areas have 4-H. For info look in your phone book under government listings for extension or cooperative extension offices. Ask specifically about a dog or canine club. The dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much
    Easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn
    To play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience
    Class. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/.
    Silvia Gonzalez Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2004, 06:55 AM
    Worried again.
    Hi, and thank you for answering my last question. I am very new to this and being a first puppy owner new at how to care for her, although I am doing the best I can.
    Brandi, my little 4 month old dachsund has visited the Vet twice this month.
    Her stool checks were negative for worms both times, and at the last visit she had her first distemper shot. She reacted well to it. That was on the 17th, it's now the 21st. Last night she woke up with a little foming at the mouth and gaging. Nothing happened after that. Although this morning her stomach is making funny noises and her nose is very dry. Also she did poop and her stool had nothing unusual on it or smelled unusual. She looks as if in some discomfort but she's also running and walking from room to room as always. What do you recommend I do? She's gone twice to the Vet this month and not to be pinchie, being the Holidays and all, well, I am a little short in cash. But, I'll do whatever you advice me of course. I don't want my little Brandi to suffer. PLease help.
    A worried Mommy. Thank you and Happy Holidays!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2004, 02:56 PM
    That doesn't sound serious enough to run to the vet right away. Keep an eye on her, and do not get caught with a seriously sick dog on the weekend. If she is worse by Friday, get her to the vet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

On probation as of feb 1st I have question,can I leave state for a college visit ? [ 7 Answers ]

:confused: HELP!! OK I've been placed on probation for the next 3 yrs of my life.this is my first offense.I'm 21.I am scheduled to go to Arizona in march for 3 days for college campus visits.I live in ny.What are my chances of getting to leave state?My probation officer said "it's going to be...

Visit to antigua [ 3 Answers ]

Can you tell me what are the do's and donts of visit to antigua.will b visiting mid feb.how is the tourist inflow in this month.

Visit the elderly [ 5 Answers ]

How about going going out and doing a visit with some of the senior citizens this week. Many don't get visited over the Holidays, and some never get visited. If you have an elderly aunt or uncle, mom or dad don't forget to give them a call. Just a little of our time can mean so much to...

New York visit [ 2 Answers ]

I am coming out of Boston and I want to drive to a location in Connecticut and take a train into the city. I want to enter at Grand Central and not Penn Station. Where in Connecticut can I do this and I also need to know about long term parking (4 days). My son is applying to NYU and any...

Visit me [ 2 Answers ]

visit me at my website which will soon have video game information on it. Site under construction I would like the people who go there to private message me

View more questions Search