Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tlaszlo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2007, 06:01 AM
    I am unable to cash my check.
    My bank account was frozen a few months ago by a debt collector.I just became a sole proprietor working as a subcontractor for a company.

I need to cash my checks.
    What happens if I open another account with a different bank?
    Is there any way that this could be done?
    What if I open in another state?
    Thank you
    Les
    moomin007 Posts: 158, Reputation: 33

Feb 22, 2007, 06:57 AM
    Hi,
    It may depend if the cheques are to you or to the business. Most banks will cash a cheque as long as you have proof of ID ( ownership of the cheque) and proof of address (residence status). There will be a charge for this. Some banks will do a flat rate, others will charge a % of the value.
    Also, speak to your local citizens advice or the branch where you bank.

You need to speak with the debt collectors to see how you can unfreeze your account.
    hope this helps

good luck
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 22, 2007, 07:05 AM
    You can open another account but the odds are they will eventually find that as well. Have you tried negotiating a settlement with them?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 22, 2007, 07:14 AM
    If you open another bank account, then if they find it, they can get a attachment on this one also.

You need to have the checks in your name, not a business name, and merely cash them at a check cashing store or a bank.
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Feb 22, 2007, 07:29 AM
    If you have no intention of contacting the debt collector, then you are going to have to live with this. Obviously the amount of money is enough to keep them active in pursuing payment.

What would happen if instead of a sole proprietorship, you decided to become an S Corp. Checks would be made out to the S Corp, not to you. Since you are now an officer of the S Corp and not the owner, I wonder if the collection agency could attach the account. I doubt it. This is strictly speculation, and I would love to here comments.

FYI: The collection agency has to find an account before it can attach it. One way to do that is to require the debtor to file a Writ of Assets with the court. If you have a personal bank account, you are going to have to disclose it. Then they will attach it just the same as they did the current one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What happens if you cash a check that a bank sent you by mistake [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I received a check from a bank to my name for an amount of money that I don't recall is due to me. What would happen if I cash this check? Can I be charged with a crime, if the bank decides to recall the check? Are any other types of cahrges can be brought against me if I cash the...

Was paid with cash and check, no 1099 [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am an F-1 OPT student who did some freelance work last year. I earned about $4500 from one job, $1200 from another and $1000 from the last. The thing is, I have not received tax paper work from the job that I earned $4500 from. I couldn't get in touch with my employer. I realize now...

401K over 60 days, but did not cash check? [ 5 Answers ]

I'm hoping to find an answer to my question here... My wife closed out her profit sharing at her old company and for reasons I won't go into, we lost the check that was sent to her, and rediscovered it 90 days later (the check was written in October). Obviously we did not cash the check. Are we...

Cash an international check in australia [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know where in Australia I can cash an international cheque on the spot?:confused:

View more questions Search