Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iamedina Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2007, 06:00 AM
    Heat is not working
    My furnace is working and the pilot is lit. the fan will run when I turn it on. The heat is not coming on but if I switch to air conditioning and lower the temperature on the thermostat, the air will work. Is this a furnace problem or with the thermostat on the wall, I only have the one. The fuse box is fine also nothing tripped?
    rickdb1 Posts: 185, Reputation: 15

Feb 22, 2007, 07:48 AM
    It could be either. Remove the thermostat. Jump from the Red terminal (R) to the White terminal (W) and see if the heat comes on. If so, you have a bad t-stat. If not, then I'm guessing the gas valve is bad. But to verify, take a voltage reading across the terminals on the valve when the thermostat is set for heat. Should get 24 volts. If you have 24 volts and no flame, then the valve is bad...
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2007, 08:30 AM
    Is your furnace new enough to have forced draft? If so, go to the great sticky, https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heatin...ons-58313.html and start with sequence of operations. The gas isn't going to come on until the controls receive a signal the inducer blower is working. There are instruction on checking it.
    rickdb1 Posts: 185, Reputation: 15

Feb 22, 2007, 08:41 AM
    Pilot is lit...

Feb 22, 2007, 08:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Is your furnace new enough to have forced draft? If so, go to the great sticky, https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heatin...ons-58313.html and start with sequence of operations. The gas isn't going to come on until the controls receive a signal the inducer blower is working. There are instruction on checking it.
    I'm pretty sure the furnace is the original from1987. The fan works and the AC works, the pilot is lit .

Feb 22, 2007, 08:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickdb1
    Pilot is lit....
    Yeah and the AC will run if I switch it on just no heat
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2007, 09:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by iamedina
    i'm pretty sure the furnace is the original from1987. the fan works and the AC works, the pilot is lit .
    I can't say for sure if it would be a newer one. Look at the vent pipe where is comes out of the furnace. If it is 6'' or less, chances are it has a draft inducer. Have you changed the filters? If it has a circuit board with lots of wires inside near the filters, chances are it is a newer one.

If so, the first thing when the thermostat calls for heat is for the small draft inducer blower to come on. Not only must it run, but the pressure switch must tell the controls it is running. As I said, go to the sticky. Northern Heat has already done a bettter job explaining what you need to do than I can. If you have trouble understanding it, post back with specific questions.
    maguyver Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2008, 12:04 AM
    The fan will only work for a/c or fan only.
    2 possible problems.
    Spill switch witch is a heat sensor between your chimney and furnace.
    Roll out switch
    Inside the furnace neer the burner tubes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blower not working with Heat- OK with AC [ 2 Answers ]

I have a recent HVAC system and not too long ago I had to remove the blower and lube the bushings because it had frozen. This was with the AC Now, that's its cold and we turned the heat on the blower either comes on for a bit and then quits or doesn't come on at all. I can turn the AC on and the...

Heat, a/c fan not working [ 1 Answers ]

The heater was working fine yesterday morning. Last night when I returned home, it was freezing. Nothing will work - not the heater, the air conditioner or fan. There eis not even a clicking noice at the thermostat when I turn it up, down, from one function to another. I flipped the breaker in...

Blower on top of heat pump not working [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Coleman heat pump that is less than 2 years old and has worked well up until a couple of days ago. Now, the air conditioning and the heat will not work, but the fan and furnace still works. After checking things out myself for small problems with the electrical box, etc, I noticed that...

Honeywell rth230b- heat is working but not the air conditioning [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine replaced my thermastat with the Honeywell rth230b. The heating is working but the air conditioning is not. I have checked to make sure the breaker wasn't tripped. What else could be the problem?:confused: Thank you:

Heat isn't working [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I have central AC/Heat and the heat portion doesn't appear to be working. New to home and have not ever had it working. Is there any common problems that anyone can let me know of so I can check them out. When the heat is on, it blows air, just not hot air. Thanks in advance. David

View more questions Search