Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moshira Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2004, 01:35 PM
    Reference list
    Hi guys.. I need some help here in writing a references list for a paper I'm writing now... I took data from the following resources and I dono the scientific way in writing them to my reference list :

1- a TV or Radio speech
    2- a paper that was discussed in a conference
    3- an interview

Thanks a lot dear
    Emdash Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2005, 10:48 PM
    Apologies for what must seem like a slow reply, Moshira, but I've only just joined this forum. I'm sure that you've already found an answer to this question, but I hope that you may still find the following useful one way or another. A lot of the rules that apply to referencing these sources will vary according to what style of referencing you've been asked to use. I don't mean to make this more complicated than it needs to be, but there are big differences between in-text (Harvard or author-date), documentary notes (Oxford or footnotes), and numbered (Vancouver) styles. There are also differences between the note that identifies the source, and the full reference that might appear in the bibliography. I'd strongly recommend that you consult a publication manual for guidance on this one. There are two publications that cover the in-text and documentary notes styles really well: The Chicago Manual of Style (Chicago: Chicago University Press, 2003) and The Oxford Style Manual (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2003). The numbered (Vancouver) style is covered in "Uniform requirements for manuscripts submitted to biomedical journals," The Journal of the American Medical Association, 277/11 (1997): 927-934. Other popular guides include the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (Washington, DC: American Psychological Association, 2001) and the MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers (New York: Modern Language Association of America, 2003).

But, I guess I should at least attempt to answer your question, albeit using really vague examples and the Chicago manual's guidelines:

Speech broadcast via television or radio:
    Presenter's Surname, Forename. Speech broadcast on Title of Television or Radio Program, Network, Month DD, YYYY.
    I've had to be a little creative here. I couldn't find anything that covers a speech that might have been broadcast on television or radio, so I've combined the advice on referencing television programs and conference papers.

Conference paper:
    Presenter's Surname, Forename. Title of Conference Paper. Paper presented at Name of Conference, City, Month DD, YYYY.

Interview:
    Interviewee's Surname, Forename (title of interviewee, Name of Organisation), in discussion with author, Month DD, YYYY.

The manuals I've identified above provide much more detailed information, but they won't necessarily cover every reference type. If you're following the general principles they recommend you can't go far wrong, but if in doubt: be creative, but be consistent. I suspect that you've already submitted whatever you were working on, but I do hope that this might still be useful for future reference.
    redpepper53 Posts: 8, Reputation: 5

Apr 28, 2007, 07:10 PM
    What type of reference style did your instructor ask for, most of the styles want alphabetical.

The two most widely used are APA and MLA

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filter cross reference [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 1990 Nissan Terrano 2.7l diesel. It was imported from Japan. I am looking for replacement filters (oil, fuel, air) and cannot find a cross-reference list for North American parts. Does anyone know of either a forum where this might be found or someone / place that could tell me the North...

Quick online physics reference guide for solving problems [ 5 Answers ]

Hello All, I love Physics and enjoy to help students with different problems. I Am Associate Professor, Ph.D. in Physics and Mathematics, Senior Lecturer in General Physics with more than 20 years experience I. More Details about my subjects and background you can see on my site: ...

Research for grignard reagents & reference [ 1 Answers ]

:( I want research for grignard reagent and his reference PLEASE ANYBODY HELP ME !!!!!! :confused:

Reference books/sources [ 1 Answers ]

I am planning to finish a roughed in basement bathroom. Could a kind person direct me to a good reference/how-to book. I have done a few plumbing projects around the house and regard myself quite handy. However, with respect to basement bathroom, I feel like a layperson. Regards, :)

_Need HELP with writing a reference for a friend_ [ 1 Answers ]

Dear sir/madam, I need help with writing reference for my friend but I don’t know how to do this. He needs reference for getting employed. He is honest, reliable, trustworthy, always on time, willing to help and learn new skills. He is also fit, strong and healthy hardworking mature minded...

View more questions Search