Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KrisJT Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2012, 08:22 AM
    Tax return form I need to complete if I am a non US resident or citizen
    Hi,

I am from South Africa and own a property in Florida. I am busy trying to organise which forms I need in order to fill out a tax return.

I have sent the W7 form to obtain an ITIN, so I am awaiting that in order to fill out a W-8ECI for my withholding agent?

I need to know now what tax return form I need to choose... and would that form require an ITIN?

Details:

Own property in US
    Non US resident
    Non US citizen

Thanks if anyone could help?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 18, 2012, 01:58 PM
    Your need to submit Form 1040NR with a Schedule E (to report the property's rental income and expenses), plus Form W-7 to request the ITIN. The Form 1040NR, Schedule E AND Form W-7 MUST be submitted together, along with a notarized photocopy of your passport. If you are submitting the tax return from South Africa, you also need to get an apostille (a certificate of authenticity) from the South African agency that issued your passport in addition to the notarized photocopy.

You MAY want to use a Certifying Acceptance Agent (CAA) for this process; it helps ensure that the ITIN will be issued as requested.

I am a CAA; If you want my professional help, double-click on my title above and scroll down to my profile/signature. You will find my email address and websites if you cannot see it on this page.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Joint tax return non-alien resident and alien resident with form 1042s [ 3 Answers ]

Hi My wife is an alien resident, but we just got married, so I am still a non-alien resident. We are intending to fill out joint tax return as alien residents. But my problem is I have both w-2 and 1042s forms. The 1042s reflects my income from a fellowship which has been taxed each month. The...

Doubt regarding to fill which form Resident/Non resident/Dual Status tax form [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a doubt regarding filing the tax form for 2010 year. I had been on F1 OPT from Jan 2010 to Dec 6th 2010. Later I moved to H1B status from Dec 6th 2010. Do I need to file, Non resident form or Resident form or Dual Staus filing form.

File W-7 form without tax return and why to file as a resident alien? [ 1 Answers ]

I came to USA in August 2004 on F1 Visa. I graduated and change status to H1b visa from October 2007. Now, I got married and my hasband came to USA on January 2008 on H4 visa. I have my brothers whom I can claim as they have green card and not earning anything. I will have to wait till May 2008...

Part time resident or non-resident for state tax form? [ 3 Answers ]

:( hi, I was on F1 visa in Texas till the month of September. Then moved to North carolina in October to work on OPT till December. So I am still eligible to fill the 1040NR-EZ form. But my confusion is the state tax form since for Texas I did not have to fill one. And now in the D400 state tax...

View more questions Search