Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dankums Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2012, 03:03 AM
    Girlfriend no longer wants boyfriend
    My girlfriend of 2 years recently broke up with me. In the past 2 years we have been perfect. Spent most of our free time together, slept together almost every night, rarely argued, all that fun stuff. We are both graduating from college in 2 weeks. So everything is going great and out of the blue she breaks up with me saying she no longer wants a boyfriend, she wants to be able to do what she wants, hook up with guys if she wants, basically be free to be single without the worries of having a boyfriend. I can completely understand the desire to be single, but it literally came without any warning and I am having trouble wrapping my head around why someone would do this and how to react to it. In a few weeks I am leaving for Georgia for an internship and she is toying with the idea of moving to California. I am scared I will never see her again. What should I do?
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2012, 06:03 AM
    Her decision did not come out of the blue. I guarantee this is idea has been in her head for a while and since college is ending she made it a reality.

Since, she expressed her no longer wanting to be a relationship with you need to come to terms with it. You might not see her again and she might be in a different state as you. However, this is good news. Let her fly her freak wings and you start letting go and free your heart from her. Her lost can be someone else gain.
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2012, 06:57 AM
    You have to do the only thing that you can do, respect her wishes. I know it's tough and we have all been there. You have invested so much time into the relationship, it feels like a part of you is leaving. But use this opportunity to grow, do things that you wouldn't normally do because she was in your life.
    SentientAndroid Posts: 63, Reputation: 8

Apr 17, 2012, 09:02 AM
    It happens to the best of us. Once again, I'm currently going through this as well. I was told "I just want to be single. I don't want a boyfriend at the moment." It doesn't matter how good you were to her, no matter how romantic or how great you were in bed, when a person has that need to fly away and be single there's absolutely nothing you can do to keep them grounded. It's crazy and I still can't comprehend it, but it is what it is.

Your situation sounds eerily familiar to mine. We were inseparable in college and we were great from 19-22, but around 23-24 and after she graduated college she just wanted to be free. The only thing that I can think of is that a person who has been in a long term relationship for 2,3, 4-5 years from an "early" age eventually starts to wonder what else is out there. Do they REALLY want to be with this person for the rest of their life? So it's best for them to get out of their relationship and see what else the world has to offer while they still have their youth. You can't be mad at them because if the shoe was on the other foot you'd expect them to understand where you were coming from... it just sucks for the other person who doesn't want the separation.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 17, 2012, 09:15 AM
    Yes most likely this is not out of the blue, you just did not see it happening. And yes the part of you moving to GA, perhaps that is not the career and life she wanted, Did you ask her where she wanted to move to after college ? Why were you not willing to move with her to follow her dream ?

But yes most likely you will not see her again, unless you run into each other in future years at college reunions and the such.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 17, 2012, 08:56 PM
    Listen to the others, mourn the loss, and let her do her thing, and take the good memories and do what you had planned to do, without her. She just did not want to share your dreams because she has her own.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My girlfriend of 3 years no longer wants to be intimate [ 25 Answers ]

I have been dating my girlfriend for over 3 years, and the majority of our relationship is going great. We have one of those relationships where we spend a lot of time together and still have lots of things to talk about. We make little sacrifices for each other, and in general the relationship is...

Girlfriend no longer wants sex [ 10 Answers ]

Hi everyone, My girlfriend of one and a half year has stopped having sex with me. Before, we used to have sex about 2-3 times a week (we don't live together). At the same time she withdrew sex, she got off the birth control as she did not renew her prescription and said we'll have to use...

Girlfriend no longer wants to have sex after becoming pregnant [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all. My girlfriend of over a year recently became pregnant unexpectedly, she is currently about 2 months pregnant and since finding out has had no interest in sex, I realise that pregnancy can mess with her hormones and make her not in the mood for sex, but its now getting to the point where...

Girlfriend will no longer let me perform oral on her [ 14 Answers ]

My girlfriend has recently stopped allowing me to perform oral on her. We used to perform at least 5X per week and never had any complaints from her. As a matter of fact, I know I am very good because I always get compliments from my GF's and they often ask "where did you learn to do that" I...

Girlfriend no longer wants to be intimate [ 3 Answers ]

6 months, all good, very intimate, great relationship, great friends, good love making. However, girlfriend has recently gone through some exams. She started to become stressed, which on the occasional time earlier, she had showed. The exams are over, results are good. She has a good job,...

View more questions Search