Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AdrianCavinder Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2012, 11:33 PM
    Geometric Sequences: Finding the initial value?
    I am really stumped by this question. It’s in the AS level course (11th grade).
    An infinite geometric series has first term a and sum to infinity b, where b ≠ 0. Prove that a lies between 0 and 2b.
    How do I go about proving this? I can find the sum to infinity in terms of a, b and r, but not sure if I’m heading in the right direction. Any help would be appreciated.
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

May 8, 2012, 07:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCavinder View Post
    I am really stumped by this question. It’s in the AS level course (11th grade).
    An infinite geometric series has first term a and sum to infinity b, where b ≠ 0. Prove that a lies between 0 and 2b.
    How do I go about proving this? I can find the sum to infinity in terms of a, b and r, but not sure if I’m heading in the right direction. Any help would be appreciated.

Since the series converges, you know that r must lie between -1 and 1 (that's a precondition of convergence for a geometric series).

Given this condition, we know that the series converges to:

Thus, we can say

or

where

Plugging in the two extremes for r (-1 and 1), you'll see that the possible values for a are bounded by 0 and 2b, with intermediate values of r falling somewhere in between.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Geometric Sequences: Finding the sum of an infinite series? [ 4 Answers ]

I had to show that the sum of the infinite series 1 - x + x^3 - x^4... is equal to 1/(1 + x + x^2) and state the values of x for which this is valid. I found the first part with no difficulties, but I’m unsure how to find the values for x. The answer states that mod x is less than 1, but I have no...

A question on geometric sequences? [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I am tutoring the UK curriculum for AS (11th grade) Level Mathematics and came upon this question which has stumped me. Any help would be appreciated. An infinite geometric series has a first term a and sum to infinity b, where b ≠ 0. Prove that a lies between 0 and 2b. Now I can work out...

Sequences [ 2 Answers ]

Sequences [ 1 Answers ]

I need to determine a sequence or maybe a series for the depreication of a new car, it depreciates by 20% in its first year, each succeeding year it depreciates by 10%. Assume the car is still in good working condition after 10 years. If the car cost $25000, calculate the value of the car after...

View more questions Search