Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AdrianCavinder Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2012, 11:22 PM
    Geometric Sequences: Finding the sum of an infinite series?
    I had to show that the sum of the infinite series 1 - x + x^3 - x^4... is equal to 1/(1 + x + x^2) and state the values of x for which this is valid. I found the first part with no difficulties, but I’m unsure how to find the values for x. The answer states that mod x is less than 1, but I have no idea how they cam cup with that answer. Any help would be appreciated.
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

May 8, 2012, 08:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCavinder View Post
    I had to show that the sum of the infinite series 1 - x + x^3 - x^4...... is equal to 1/(1 + x + x^2) and state the values of x for which this is valid. I found the first part with no difficulties, but I’m unsure how to find the values for x. The answer states that mod x is less than 1, but I have no idea how they cam cup with that answer. Any help would be appreciated.
    I assume you accidentally missed the x^2 term?

Is this the question?

The answer states that mod x is less than 1
    Mod x? "Mod" to me mean modulo division, which doesn't make a lot of sense in this context. Are you referring to what I would call "absolute value"? (i.e. "mod x" means |x| )?

May 8, 2012, 09:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaron2 View Post
    I assume you accidentally missed the x^2 term?

Is this the question?

Mod x? "Mod" to me mean modulo division, which doesn't make a lot of sense in this context. Are you referring to what I would call "absolute value"? (i.e. "mod x" means |x| )?
    Hi. Yes sorry, by mod I mean absolute value, but there isn’t an x^2 missing.
    First I had to find the sum of the geometric series (1 -x ) + ( x^3 - x^4 ) + ( x^6 - x^7 ) +.. . ( 3^3n - 3^3n-1 ) which I got correctly as [( 1 - x ) ( 1 - x^3n+3)]/( 1 - x^3 )
    Then, of this series 1 - x + x^3 - x^4 + x^6... I found the sum to infinity to be ( 1 - x )/ ( 1 - x^3 ) which reduces to 1/ 1 + x + x^2. But I’m stuck when it asked for the values of x for which this is valid. The answer says [x] is less than one, but I can’t understand why it can’t be greater than one. Thanks for your input: really appreciated.
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

May 9, 2012, 10:18 AM
    Hi. Yes sorry, by mod I mean absolute value, but there isn’t an x^2 missing.
    First I had to find the sum of the geometric series (1 -x ) + ( x^3 - x^4 ) + ( x^6 - x^7 ) + ..... .....( 3^3n - 3^3n-1 ) which I got correctly as [( 1 - x ) ( 1 - x^3n+3)]/( 1 - x^3 )
    Then, of this series 1 - x + x^3 - x^4 + x^6...... I found the sum to infinity to be ( 1 - x )/ ( 1 - x^3 ) which reduces to 1/ 1 + x + x^2. But I’m stuck when it asked for the values of x for which this is valid. The answer says [x] is less than one, but I can’t understand why it can’t be greater than one. Thanks for your input: really appreciated.
    Since there are an infinite number of terms with ever increasing exponent, the only way the series can possibly converge is for each subsequent term to be smaller than the one before (in other words, the limit of term n as n approaches infinity has to go to zero). Otherwise, each subsequent term is bigger than the last, and the sum grows toward positive or negative infinity ad nauseum.

Since the coefficient of each term is the same (1 in this case -- as opposed to, say, a Taylor series where the coefficient has a 1/n! In it, which can more than compensate for an ever increasing exponent), the only way that the terms will approach zero for large n is for the argument of the exponent (x in this case) to be less than one in magnitude.

if x<1.

if x=1.

if x>1.

The second and third cases (x=1 or x>1) clearly result in non-convergent series.

Likewise, since there are an infinite number of terms,

May 11, 2012, 07:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaron2 View Post
    Since there are an infinite number of terms with ever increasing exponent, the only way the series can possibly converge is for each subsequent term to be smaller than the one before (in other words, the limit of term n as n approaches infinity has to go to zero). Otherwise, each subsequent term is bigger than the last, and the sum grows toward positive or negative infinity ad nauseum.

Since the coefficient of each term is the same (1 in this case -- as opposed to, say, a Taylor series where the coefficient has a 1/n! in it, which can more than compensate for an ever increasing exponent), the only way that the terms will approach zero for large n is for the argument of the exponent (x in this case) to be less than one in magnitude.

if x<1.

if x=1.

if x>1.

The second and third cases (x=1 or x>1) clearly result in non-convergent series.

Likewise, since there are an infinite number of terms,
    Really helpful. Thanks so much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

A question on geometric sequences? [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I am tutoring the UK curriculum for AS (11th grade) Level Mathematics and came upon this question which has stumped me. Any help would be appreciated. An infinite geometric series has a first term a and sum to infinity b, where b ≠ 0. Prove that a lies between 0 and 2b. Now I can work out...

Sequences and Series [ 1 Answers ]

Question 1 Write the equation of the arithmetic sequence defined by a1 = 3 and a4 = 0. (write your answer in the form an= and please do NOT use spaces) Question 2 What is the common ration of the sequence? -2, 2, -2, 2,.

Geometric progression (infinite series) [ 1 Answers ]

A ball is dropped from a height of 80m. It bounces to a height equivalent to 0.8 of the original height. Calculate the total distance the ball will travel when it eventually stays at rest. (you will have to think about infinite series techniques) Can anyone help me with this I have no idea about...

If tn=(x)n ,and x is not =0,find the infinite series [ 1 Answers ]

How do I find the infinite series

Infinite series [ 2 Answers ]

I've always liked infinite series. Here's one maybe you'll like to tackle. Not too bad. Find the sum of: \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n-1}\cdot{6n}}{e^{2n}} It does converge.

View more questions Search