Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    raj83168 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2007, 02:18 AM
    F1, 1099-misc
    Hi,

I am from India and a non-resident in CA, on F1 and would graduate in 2008.
    My situation is as follows,

A) I worked for a small business in aug 2006 - oct 2006 for their website in their office with public transport, had personal meals and my own computer etc. and I recently got a 1099-misc from them. Non-employee compensation is $4462.50 and federal income tax withheld is $0.00, and not working for them anymore.

B) I also have a W2 from the university where I worked as a assistant, earlier in 2005.

So my questions are, as per A:

1. how much do I owe in taxes?
    2. what specific forms I need to fill out?
    3. tax returns, if any
    4. deadlines involved
    5. Can I claim deductions and still be able to owe zero taxes?

Gratefully,

Raj
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 22, 2007, 11:43 PM
    1) About $675 in self-emloyment tax, unless you can show that the 1099 job is related to your F-1 field of study. If you can show that, then you owe NOTHING.

2) Schedule C with Form 1040NR.

4) April 16th.

5) If you have met the criteria specified above, your personal exemption and the $5,150 standard deduction will cover your pay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099 Misc [ 3 Answers ]

Is the small stipend that a homeowners association pays the treasurer and secretary required to be reported on a 1099 for income tax purposes?

1099-misc [ 4 Answers ]

I did not receive a w-2 for 2005 taxes, all I received was a 1099-MISC. How am I supposed to fill out my taxes? What form am I supposed to use?

1099-misc, ss-8, etc. Need help! [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, hopefully someone can help me here. This last summer I worked for the University of Michigan as an undergraduate student researcher. I worked under a professor and in my opinion was CLEARLY an employee. However, I recently received a good old 1099-MISC form from U of Michigan stating the...

1099-misc [ 1 Answers ]

I received an 1099-misc form, from a business I did some work for. I live and worked in Minnesota. I received $4,250 in box 7, no taxes withheld. I claimed it as other income when I filed my taxes electronically line 21 of 1040. I just entered it on the program and it calculated and e-filed for...

1099-misc for h-1 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Can a person on H-1B working for only one employer receive 1099-MISC instead of W-2 from that employer? Thanks.

View more questions Search