Saturation.
    C) The water in a well drilled into an uncon-
    Fined aquifer will rise to the elevation of
    The water table.
    Which of the preceding statements is/are
    True?
    sean_s Posts: 103, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2012, 01:10 PM
    water table is not necessarily flat .so B is not true.
    if the aquifer is unconfined, then the entry zones are at gauge pressure = 0, and that is the definition of local water table, from static height law of free fluid (gauge pressure are same at same depth anywhere in connected fluid body, with pressure = 0 at depth = 0), it will rise so up to watter table. C is true.

usually confined aquifers have pressure built in them, usually because of there structure (water entering only from a distance, and expanding the clay/rock intergrain space matrix to get stored) and will cause it to rise above where it is encountered. HOWEVER, in the region where water enters, called recharge zone, a confined aquifer behaves unconfined. In that place, water will not climb above water table or gauge pressure height zero. So I if you know by "confined" the location far away from recharge zone is meant, then A is true

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help in physical geology? [ 0 Answers ]

How does the existence of Earth's magnetic field, iron meteorites, and the abundance of iron in the cosmos support the idea that Earth's core is mostly iron and the outer core is liquid?

Biology or Geology? [ 1 Answers ]

Which would would be an easier class.. geology or biology? I want it it to be fun too. In high school I hated earth science and I was good in bio but I don't know if that's a good enough basis to choose bio over geology. There's another class I want to take in the fall and geology would conflict...

Geology [ 5 Answers ]

Marine sedimentary rock layers are deposited during a sea level rise. Later, there is a global sea-level fall. Erosion occurs for a few thousand years or so. The sea returns and more marine beds are deposited. A __________ has formed. A) angular unconformity B) conformity C)...

Geology [ 5 Answers ]

Suppose it were known that in nearby areas, Middle ordovician, pennsylvanian, and cretaceous rocks were oil-bearing. Discuss the potential for oil exploration in the area. In what specific area or areas in this region might you recommend further investigation?

Geography, Geology [ 3 Answers ]

Which one is the leargest Cantuary in Asia?

View more questions Search