Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bnrath Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2012, 03:59 PM
    Is dependents presence required in usa to get tax exemption in usa h1b
    Hello expert
    1) I'm in h1b since jan20. My family (wife and 2 child's <13 yrs) will join me in 2013 may. Income is 60000/annum in South Carolina. So how much will be total approximate tax?My employer is deducting about 480 for federal and 200 for state tax every month.
    2) Again is dependents presence required in usa to get tax exemption in usa
    h1b? If so when they should come to get maximum tax benefits? In such case how much will be the approx tax for the same salary?
    3) When my family joins next year May'13 will the tax be less 2012?
    Thanks
    BNR
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 23, 2012, 12:07 PM
    BNR:

For 2012, you can file jointly with your wife irrespective of her physical location.

However, to claim your children on the return, they must spend at least ONE day in the United States in 2012.

Apr 23, 2012, 03:08 PM
    Thanks a lot
    Just like to know how much will be the deduction from the gross salary for each child (total 2children)?
    My status will be resident alien right?
    And for a gross income of $50000 how much will the approx tax
    Case 1) if family do not come in 2012
    Case 2) if family comes in sept 2012.
    Many many thanks for clarifications.

Also please let me know any tax savings scheme is there like insurance or investment etc

Regds

Apr 23, 2012, 03:09 PM
    Sorry gross $60k, regret for the mistake
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 24, 2012, 06:40 AM
    Each child is worth a personal exemption (deduction) of $3,750 PLUS the $1,000 Child Tax Credit, so their presence would increase your refund by $3,125 (assuming a 15% tax bracket).

Your income tax liability will be about $2,700.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

USA taxes: Treaty USA-Italy Non-resident Alien Tax Exemption [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question related to the non-resident alien/resident alien problems. More in detail, I have a question about the two years agreement between USA and my country Italy. I briefly describe my situation: I am an Italian citizen. I arrived in the US first time in June 2005 with a J-1...

J1 tax exemption: UK-USA treaty [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently on a J1 visa. When this ends after 2 years, I want to continue working in the US, but on a different visa. I know if I continue on a J1 visa, I have to pay retrospective taxes, but: 1) If I return on a H1 visa, will I have to pay back the previous 2 years worth of taxes from my...

Tax exemption for spouse living in India but never visited USA [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am from India and married. I worked in USA On L1 visa for entire year 2009. However my wife and children never visited USA. So while filing the federal tax return for year 2009, can I get a benefit of being married (spouse and/or dependent exemption)? If yes, please advice on the formalities...

Income Tax Exemption for Non Resident Aliens, USA [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Australian. I joined a company in Florida, usa in Nov 08. Visa category E3. That means, I worked in USA for 3 months, but I was out of USA for more than 2 months out of the 3 months of 2008. In 2009, I worked from Jan09 to May 09. I ended my job, but will be paid severence pay...

Exemption in taxes for dependents outside USA [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I belong to India and have a wife and a kid. I am currently on a L1 visa here in USA. I have applied for a dependent visa for both my wife and kid so that they can join me here. Their visa will be processed and stamped before mid-december this year but they would be able to join me here...

View more questions Search