Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    melindarobledo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2012, 03:39 PM
    I work in a healthcare facility--was what happened a HIPAA violation?
    And I had a miscarriage so I took some time off. I informed employee health and took a fml. I only told my supervisor what was happening to me. I came back to work two Weeks later and now everybody knows I miscarried was this a HIPAA violation.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 16, 2012, 03:44 PM
    I am very sorry for your loss.

When you miscarried, did you miscarry at the facility where you work? If not, this is not a HIPAA violation but is rather unethical for your superiors to make this information public.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 16, 2012, 03:52 PM
    Isn't there a strong likelihood that everyone just guessed?
    melindarobledo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2012, 04:02 PM
    No there wasn't a likelihoods because I was only 9 Weeks and wasn't even showing.. Stupid response
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 16, 2012, 04:17 PM
    Actually not, in most places people know what is going on. You would be surprised,
    To be honest it is very possible, since places I have worked, people often know things I am going to do before it happen
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 16, 2012, 09:53 PM
    Again, is the place you work the same place that you had your miscarriage?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 17, 2012, 03:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by melindarobledo View Post
    No there wasn't a likelihoods because I was only 9 Weeks and wasnt even showing.. Stupid response
    You came here for help. People here volunteer their time and expertise to help you. There is no call to be rude.

You gave us very little info to work on, so we sometimes have to ask questions to give the right advice.

If you work in a Healthcare facility then you should know that HIPAA governs giving out diagnosis and treatment information from your medical practitioner to an unauthorized third party.

So tell us what medical practitioner that treated you revealed your diagnosis and treatment?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HIPAA violation ? [ 2 Answers ]

My former employer, who is also the owner of the facility( a substance abuse hospital) called one evening asking about treatment for a patient that was admitted earlier that day. This particular patient happened to be a family a family member of his. After checking the patient's chart, it was...

HIPAA violation [ 2 Answers ]

I just received a print out of all my precriptions from my husbands live in girl friend. I am separated from my husband for almost 2 years and going through divorce. I did have insurance through his work however I have a note on my file at walgreens to not give info to any one but me.. this...

HIPAA violation? [ 5 Answers ]

I am active duty military and we are always told that we are protected by HIPAA. The other day I found out my medical provider told a joke about me to other medical staff regarding one of my diagnosed medical conditions. Is this considered a HIPAA violation?

Hipaa violation [ 3 Answers ]

If someone repeates a rumor they heard about someone's medical condition, is this a hipaa violation? And can the person repeating that rumor be sued for slander?

HIPAA Violation? [ 7 Answers ]

My Mom works for a home health agency. When she did home visits, she became good friends with one of her patients and his wife. She now does chart review in the office. While reviewing charts, she saw a note in "Bob's" chart that his caretaker (wife) had unexpectedly died. She is also friends with...

View more questions Search