Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Apr 16, 2012, 02:30 PM
    Electrical Motor Overprotection Device.
    Greetings.

I'm 200+ pages into an electrical book that I am editing and I hit a question that I believe is poorly written.

Regarding NEC Table 430.250 and Article 430.52 exception (1)

The question:

"What size branch-circuit conductor and overcurrent device (circuit breaker) is required for a 7.5 hp 230V, three phase motor with 75C terminals?

The correct answer is given as: 10 AWG conductor with a 60A "inverse time breaker."

My concern with this question is that, the surrounding text discussion has zero information on selecting the type protection device. No information is given to usersregarding Table 430.52 and no process for selecting the device type is given.

To me, this question's answer should be limited to the size of the conductor as well as the size of the breaker or add the description of how make the proper device selection.

Agree / disagree?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2012, 03:44 AM
    Sorry Don, for delay in getting to this question.

I agree to the latter, since choosing the exact type of OCPD is required before sizing that device, since Table 430.52 lists two types of circuit breakers, instantaneous and inverse time, and each has it's own specific rating.

The question needs to have added ("inverse time" circuit breaker), since the required answer is related to ITCB.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My project motor 12vdc motor give to the supply 9v contector now how to incerse motor [ 1 Answers ]

My project motor 12vdc motor give to the supply 9v contector now how to incerse motor

Electrical connection for 1/6hp 115v blower motor [ 0 Answers ]

I am trying to replace 1/6hp 115 volts blower motor, the new one has 2 brn wires, 1 blk, 1 red, 1 yellow and 1 blue but the old one only has 1 blue and 1 yellow which wire on the new motor do I use.

How to connect electrical wires of new condenser motor (Emerson) [ 3 Answers ]

I'm installing a new Emerson condenser fan motor and capacitor. The wire colors are Black, White, Brown, Striped Brown. I understand that Black goes to electric panel, Brown and Striped Brown to capacitor. Where does the White go? And how to I connect the wires to the capacitor two terminal with...

Using the correct type of electrical motor [ 3 Answers ]

I have a belt drive whole house fan. I replaced the entire unit after a motor failure. I wish to take my old fan and fit with a new motor and use the fan for other purposes. I have tried an washing machine motor, a drill press motor and other types. All quickly fail or turn off due to...

View more questions Search