Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Apr 16, 2012, 02:16 PM
    Crate Training
    My mom recently adopted a chihuahua mix. He torn up the weather stripping and carpet by the door while she was at work, so she's now keeping him crated when she's gone.

The problem is, he's destructive when crated. He knocked over his food and water and poops in the crate. Accidents weren't an issue when he wasn't crated, so it's not a house-training issue. He's just acting out.

Any advice I can pass along to her? He's a pound-pup, so it would be horrible for him to have to go back, because of behavior issues.

He's not fixed (don't ask me why the shelter is adopting out unfixed animals), yet. She has no idea what he's mixed with. He's about a year old.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2012, 02:54 PM
    I kept puppies in a pen with a kennel inside the pen. They had room to roam but also a safe haven.

How old is he?
    Experts

Apr 16, 2012, 03:03 PM
    He's about a year old. At least, that's what the shelter told her.

When he's loose, he's destructive when left alone. She had to move the crate to the bathroom, because he was tearing up the carpet underneath it.

The pooping inside only started happening when she started the crate training. That, along with knocking over his food and water, are new. The digging, isn't.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 16, 2012, 04:20 PM
    This little guy needs close supervision. Crating is a good idea in most situations but the carte does not train a dog, your mom must. I will likely loose a friend or two when I mention that one of my dogs turned destructive and also became a digger. I spent $105 and bought an electronic collar. The collar does not train the dog but I did. The shock is much more like a static discharge when you walk across the room and touch something metal. 4 days of close supervision and the dog digs no more.
    Experts

Apr 19, 2012, 10:51 AM
    Even if she could afford it, there's NO way she'd even think about using a shock collar. She thinks crate training is mean, but realizes is necessary, in this case.

Does anyone have tips on how she can keep him from being destructive when he's in the crate?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2012, 04:37 AM
    Take the food out, take the water out, take blankets out, take everything out.

When you say ripping up the carpet can you describe what sort of crate it is? All the ones I use have a plastic tray on the bottom of the crate. You can also get ones entirely made of plastic, not good in hot weather but great for training destructive dogs.

I would try separation anxiety training along with crate training... I'll cut and paste the write up I did about it, if some parts don't apply to you just disregard...

Separation anxiety.

Does your dog cry when you leave the room? Urinate only when you leave the house?
    These are a few signs that your dog may be suffering from Separation Anxiety.

Some dogs do not like being left alone and some will think you are leaving them permanently and not coming back. Here are a few tips to help fix this problem.

When you leave, no matter how long for always have fresh water available. Toys are also a wonderful training tool as it will keep the dog distracted, I use kong toys stuffed with yummy food as a cure for boredom, having special toys or treats that the dog gets only when you go out are also a wonderful idea.

When training my own dogs for separation anxiety I first distract my dogs with their favourite toy and then exit my house through the front door.
    I only leave for a minute or two, just long enough so that the dog does not bark or cry.
    I then re-enter the house and give them praise for not crying.

Next time I go out I leave for a few more minutes, again only entering the house if the dog is not crying and giving praise.

Increase the amount of time you leave for and always come back before the dog starts crying (you will learn how long that threshold is pretty quickly)

This teaches the dog that you are going to come back and they are not being left alone forever.

Another technique is to not "baby" the dog.
    Some dogs become overly attached to their owner and don't even like their owner being out of their line of sight, in this case the training needs to begin before you start going out

Start paying less attention to the dog, when he pushes for attention, don't give it to him
    If he wants to be petted, make him wait.
    As harsh as it sounds it is the only way to get the dog to start becoming less dependent on you.

After you have trained the dog to be less clingy you can move onto things like leaving the dog in the living room while you have a shower, or leaving him inside while you are out hanging up washing on the clothesline.

Crate Training.

This is very similar to separation anxiety training.
    There are a few things to consider before actually starting the training:

Selecting a crate.
    A dogs crate should be large enough for the dog to stand up in, turn around easily and be able to lay down comfortably.
    Crates come in all shapes and sizes so shop around for one that best suits your dogs size.

I personally prefer to use all wire crates as to the plastic pet pack varieties as even though the plastic crates have ventilation they can become very hot.
    When you leave, no matter how long for always have fresh water available, D-shaped water bowls are great for crates, they are shaped like a D and the flat part has clips to secure to the wire and prevent spills.

Toys are also a wonderful training tool as it will keep the dog distracted, I use kong toys stuffed with yummy food as a cure for boredom, having special toys or treats that the dog gets only when you go out are also a wonderful idea, it shows them that the crate is a good thing, not a punishment.

Another good idea for crates is to cover it with a blanket or sheet. You can leave the front open so the dog can see but having a blanket over the sides and back makes the dog feel more secure than a wire crate out in the open.
    Another reason I prefer wire crates, you can adjust the covering to suit the weather.

When crate training my dogs I first coax them into the crate with a yummy treat, I let them eat the treat in the crate and play with a toy in there. Once they are comfortable with being in the crate I give them another treat then lock the crate and then go sit away from the crate and ignore the puppy.
    I only sit down for a minute or two, just long enough so that the dog does not bark or cry.
    I then walk over and let them out of the crate and give them praise for not crying.

Letting them out only if they are not crying is very important. If you let the dog out of the crate while it is crying it will only teach them that crying makes you come back and let them out.

Next time I sit down for a few more minutes, again only letting them out if the dog is not crying.

Increase the amount of time you sit for and always let them out before the dog starts crying (you will learn how long that threshold is pretty quickly)

This teaches the dog that they are not being left in the crate forever.

A lot of people prefer to leave the house while they are crating their dog to start with, this is purely personal preference, I have tried both and had more success with staying near the dog.

The only attention the dog shoulg get should be an angry "no" from you when it cries to show it that crying is naughty.
    Just remember, however loud and hard your puppy is screaming do not let it out of the crate. It will calm down and then it can come out.
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2012, 06:01 AM
    Shaz, great stuff. Is there a way you could make this into a "sticky?"
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2012, 06:39 AM
    Thanks Judy, it is located in Ricks sticky from when he was buying a puppy. I have been thinking about making a more specific sticky though and making it better organised without the chat in between.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Apr 20, 2012, 06:55 AM
    Good Idea, it deserves a place of it's own.
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2012, 07:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Thanks Judy, it is located in Ricks sticky from when he was buying a puppy. I have been thinking about making a more specific sticky though and making it better organised without the chat in between.

If it's there - and now I see it is - I never saw it. Yes, this should stand on its own.

Great stuff!
    Experts

Apr 25, 2012, 01:58 PM
    I'm relaying pieces of information I'm getting from my mom through email. From what she's said, it's a wire crate. It had a plastic pan for the bottom, but he destroyed it. She didn't say how. After that, he started digging at the carpet underneath.

She only puts him in the crate when she's at work. Should she really leave him without food and water for the eight plus hours she's at work?

That may help with the destruction, but it won't stop him from using it as a bathroom. I think that's her main concern. Before she started using the crate, that wasn't an issue. He was digging by the door, but he wasn't pooping and peeing inside. She takes him out before work, everyday, so it's definitely a behavioral thing.

I'm going to send the info to her. Hopefully it'll help. Unfortunately, being the go-between in a strange doggy behavior issue, isn't the most streamlined and efficient process.

Apr 25, 2012, 04:11 PM
    If a crate floor gets torn up you get another floor or a sheet of plywood. 8 hours in a crate is a very long time. This in itself could be a big part of the problem. Not killing the messenger here but she should not have adopted a new dog if she has to crate him for 8+ hours.
    Experts

Apr 25, 2012, 05:28 PM
    Don't worry. I don't really understand it, either. I know she's lonely. She lives by herself and we're all somewhat scattered. She tried having cats, but she has birds. I think getting rid of the birds and having a cat, would make more sense, but it's not my call.

Instead, I'm trying to help as much as can, from across the state and via email, so she has a pet she can actually interact with and that will love her.

Apr 25, 2012, 06:50 PM
    I understand, pets do fill a void. I just got my 3rd dog yesterday, grand kids moved across the country Sunday. Is there anyone who can walk the dog for her like a middle school neighbor. 8+ is just too much for a dog. BTW, she can go to Home Depot with the width and length and they will cut some plywood to fit the crate. No food during the day but a small amount of water will be fine.
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2012, 07:57 PM
    She needs to do some training between work days or even after work. I agree 8 hours is too long without water, but during the training process there should be nothing in the crate.

Do you think she might be better confined to a room rather than crated? Some of mine absolutely despise being in a crate and will scream bloody murder but if I leave them just partitioned off in a room they are quiet as a mouse.
    Experts

May 3, 2012, 01:36 PM
    She doesn't have any neighbors. The apartment is in the back of a business building, in renovated office space. She doesn't make friends, or even acquaintances, easily.

I don't think all her work days are eight hours, I just know that some of them can be.

The problem, I think, is separation anxiety. She left him with my niece, for a couple hours, and he ran head first into the door, trying to follow her. Because of that, and his digging at the bottom of doors, I don't think just putting him in a room, will work. The only room without carpet, is the kitchen, and there's no door.

I sent her the info, from here, and she said she's going to try it. Hopefully, it'll work. I'll keep forwarding any new suggestions, though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

House training and Crate Training? [ 3 Answers ]

I just rescued a dog from the animal shelter. I'm new to this and have a few questions. He has been good with letting us know at times that he needs to go potty. He has gone a few times outside. But he has also peed and pooped in the house as well. He has only pooped when were gone. But he has peed...

Separation anxiety and crate training issues. How can we house train without crate [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, We have got what is now a 7 month old black lab mix. Nearly everything I've read about house training involves crate training. Unfortunately, our puppy has some severe anxiety issues (separation anxiety being one of them). We are currently working with a trainer to try to help her with...

Crate training [ 4 Answers ]

I have a miniature dashound that is now peeing in his crate. He was doing fine but has recently started peeing in his crate BUT only if we put a blanket in with him. I decided to try taking out his blanket and he can go the whole night without peeing. I hate crating him without something for him to...

Crate training [ 4 Answers ]

We were looking into getting a dog and went to a pet store just to see how a couple of different breeds acted. We made a mistake when we fell in love with a beagle-boston terrier mix and bought her. She can't stand being in the crate so for it to be less stressful we've been keeping her in the...

Crate training [ 6 Answers ]

My fiance' and I just got a mini-dachshund last Saturday. She is 13 weeks old and very tiny. She is absolutely adorable! Taking her "potty" has been pretty successful. I'm curious how to properly crate train her. I have read pointers on websites that recommened making her crate as peaceful of a...

View more questions Search