Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlukehart Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2012, 07:15 AM
    Can you claim pre-tax medical when you claim exempt
    Hello,

I am paying about 750.00 per month in medical premiums alone. My employer takes these premiums on a pre-taxed basis - however, I claimed exempt for most of the year so there was no pre-taxed benefit. Can I deduct the premiums on my tax return for the portion I paid while I was exempt?
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Apr 16, 2012, 09:24 AM
    No, you cannot claim those premiums, as there are already pre-tax and are not reported as taxable income.
    jlukehart Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2012, 09:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by taxesforaliens View Post
    No, you cannot claim those premiums, as there are already pre-tax and are not reported as taxable income.
    I don't think you read my question correctly. I should be able to claim premiums paid while I was EXEMPT. There was nothing to tax - therefore the paycheck deduction was not pre-tax. There was nothing pre-taxed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help filling out motion to claim exempt property form [ 1 Answers ]

Have this form that I need to fill out by Friday.can't afford a lawyer, don't have funds to pay to even speak to one.. I don't understand what to claim and where it goes on the form.. got caught in a scam to make money as a part time job , but the money was taken and I received nothing but a motion...

Can I claim exempt from social security and medicare under student FICA Exemption? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I am currently on F-1 Visa. I am here in US since 2003 and have been on CPT and OPT before. I am a Indian citizen. Currently I am working on my CPT. Can I claim exempt from social security and medicare under student FICA Exemption?"

Income exempt from tax and claim of tuition cost [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a citizen from China. Now, I am preparing my tax form. There are two questions: 1) If I am filing my tax form with my husband who is a U.S. citizen, could we still claim 5000 tax income exempt based on Treaty Exempt Income between China and U.S. Since my husband is a U.S....

Medical premium - tax exempt [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I used to pay for my medical insurance in the year 2007 and 2008. Can I claim an exempt from the taxes in such a case. I did do that when filing my taxes for 2007. Is there a way I can claim exemptions for both 2007 & '08 when filing for 2008 Thanks Nilay

Medical Claim [ 7 Answers ]

I had surgery using a provider and provider facility under my plan. The insurance company covered the majority of the cost with only $34 to pay out of pocket. The problem is the cost of $850 for anesthesiologist and the sedation I had. They first only paid $35 of the bill. I called and then...

View more questions Search