Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeanjoconnell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2012, 03:12 AM
    Can I get a German Passport if my mother was born in Germany?
    My mother was born in Germany in 1950 to German parents. She migrated to Australia in 1956 and obtained Australian citizenship. She had me in 1986. Is it possible for me to obtain a German passport whilst not giving up my Australian citizenship? Help would be greatly appreciated.
    EmberStudios Posts: 21, Reputation: 0

Apr 16, 2012, 08:02 AM
    Depends- Can you speak fluent German?Do you visit often? If so, That will help greatly when applying. You can contact the Australian German Embassy for more information.
    All the best x
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2012, 09:00 AM
    I am reading no - "A child acquires German citizenship at birth if one of his or her parents is a German citizen."

Was your mother a citizen of Germany OR a citizen of Australia at the time of your birth? It would appear she was a citizen of Australia at the time of your birth from what you posted.

I do not see that "visiting fequently" has any bearing. A basic level of the German language is required.

The info about contacting the Embassy is, of course, valid.
    jeanjoconnell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2012, 05:25 PM
    Thank you for your answers. I do speak very basic German but would like to be fluent. I would like to be able to live there freely hence obtaining a German passport but don't want to give up my Australian citizenship.

My Mother was an Australian citizen when I was born so it looks like it won't be as simple as I thought.

Contacting the Australian German Embassy is definitely on my "To Do List". The information on their website I found was quite unclear in answering my question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Born in germany and looking for German citizenship [ 0 Answers ]

I was born in germany and was never a citizen my mother was also born in germany I waw born in 47 amd my mother was born in 1924 what is my status, can I get a German passport or Citizenship

I was born in Germany to a German mother, do I qualify for a German passport? [ 2 Answers ]

I was born in Germany in 1991 on a German mother and a British father. I've lived in the UK since I was a couple months old and I am now 19, because we lived in the UK my mother didn't want things to get complicated with aplying for passports so she only let me have a British one instead of a...

My mother was born in germany do I qualify for a german passport [ 1 Answers ]

My mother was born in what was East Germany, she came to Canada at the age of ten as a refugee, she is now a Canadian Citizen and was when I was born in Calgary, AB Canada in 1974. Both my grandparents were also German but became Canadian. Do I qualify for a german passport, or a dual citizenship.

US Citizen born in Germany--Can she get German Passport? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, Just a quick question about obtaining a German passport: My wife was born in Nuremberg, Germany. Her father was in the U.S. Army and stationed there at the time. She only has a USA passport. Is it possible for her to get a German passport, since she was born there? Thanks in...

View more questions Search