Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    OneLife1 Posts: 18, Reputation: 3

Apr 15, 2012, 11:03 PM
    I feel a little lonely
    Hey guys, I decided to write this post because I feel a little lonely at times. Although I have a close family, and a couple good friends, at times I still feel very lonely mainly because I don't have much of a social life. I do my own things that I love at home but I don't go out very often for social events. I am just about graduating from university, I volunteer at a few of places, I have a part time job, and I think I'm consider myself a pretty outgoing person.

However, whenever I go out, I rarely go on dates, hang out with my friends, and other social events. I guess I'm not that type of person, I have always been used to grow up doing things on my own and I guess I am sort of used to that. I rarely find myself having much to say when conversing with others and I guess I like doing stuff on my own. The dilemma here is, I also feel alone at times because I don't have a girlfriend or much friends for that matter. Heck, maybe I'm not ready to have a girlfriend yet but I would also like some friends that are girls.

Anyhow, sorry for the rant. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2012, 12:12 AM
    You have already pin pointed where the problem is i.e, rarely going to social events and mainly doing lone activities, branching out a little from this to extend your social circle is key to combating the loneliness.

Making a concerted effort to talk to women and perhaps asking for that date will throw a little excitement into your life.

It does not have to lead to anything, if your not ready for a relationship it can always be as friends, example,asking a women you know to the cinema as friends, nothing wrong with that at all!

Taking up a new activity that involves a team is also something else you could do, if you do decide having a girlfriend is something your ready for, asking your current friends if they know someone you might click with might just be the answer.
    mmresd Posts: 2,002, Reputation: 553
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2012, 11:24 AM
    I agree with rehed35, you can't wait for social to reach you, you need to go out there and put yourself on the line in front of social events, potential girlfriends, and making new friends.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Apr 16, 2012, 12:57 PM
    From reading your post, I can't tell if you actually want new friends because it seems to contradict.

If you want new friends, I'm sure you know what to do, start by saying "hi, how are you?" and then introducing yourself. But if you don't want friends, then keep doing your own thing and be comfortable with who you are. You don't need to be someone you're not.
    OneLife1 Posts: 18, Reputation: 3

Apr 16, 2012, 02:38 PM
    Hi guys thanks for responding.

The fact isn't that I want new friends, actually I do, well its more like I want more friends to hang out with. I understand that to do that I will need to "put myself out there" like everyone says but my problem is I don't know how to start with that. At times I feel like, I don't need anyone and I can do everything by myself but at the same time, sometimes I end up feeling lonely and wanting company. That is sort of the dilemma I have. Sure, having more friends is better, but sometimes I feel like I can't stand others and sometimes I feel like I need their company. And also I have no idea what it takes to make new friends and I don't know where to start.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2012, 12:22 AM
    To make a friend you have to be a friend, have you ever noticed how little kids go sit in the sand box and just start playing with other kids ,they get involved in the activity, they share their stuff and ask questions.

Taking an interest in someone else, listening to them, you really don't have to say too much, most people like to talk about themselves, if you have a reputation as a good listener you'll never be short of friends.

YOU can set the bounderies, you still can have your own space and time, friendships take time to grow and develop.

Have you thougth about a joining a team of some description?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I feel sad and lonely [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there . I am new on this but not in the age , I came to this country in 1999 for a better life , I been marrid for 23 years my married never worked I just keepet it going 4 my children.. I love my children very much , I never did or think 4 myself just for them and I been keeping and dong...

I always feel lonely and need someone to be with [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Sorry for posting this, but I don't know how to let this feeling pass. It has been like this for one month, since my boyfriend changes and he's not with me anymore. I feel like I'm always lonely, I feel like I lose my control and don't know what to do next, I start counting the minutes in the...

I feel lonely [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I'm from tunisai and I'm 24 years old I feel so lonely and I look for change .I look for something différents I look for a women with a big heart I can do any thing if its sure that I will be happy .I have a good joob but I look for a good realtion .if you have the same situation try to...

Why do I feel so lonely? [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I'm writing because I need some advice on what to do. Recently I have been feeling lonely and I don't know why, I have a few friends but I still feel lonely. Im the type of person that likes to be around people but I'm not really that social. I don't know if that even makes sense. I try...

View more questions Search