Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lorianb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2012, 06:47 PM
    No water in hot tap, but worked fine 15 minutes ago
    This morning my husband had plenty of hot water with good pressure and 15 minutes later I tried to shower and there was no water coming from hot tap, in any hot tap in the house. There is water in the water line coming from tank. We have clear pex and I can see the water coming out of the tank. The tank is only 5 years old but in the last year I've thought the thermostat might be going out because the tank wouldn't always heat the water after we used a lot. Turning the temp up helped. But it hasn't kicked on of its own accord. I had to turn the temp all the way up to get it to turn on. Any thoughts on this. I've talked to everyone including a licensed plumber and no one seems to have a clue...
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 13, 2012, 07:31 PM
    You need to find a better licensed plumber to talk to. Electric or gas water heater? Put a bucket under the heater drain spigot and drain some water, what temp is it?
    lorianb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2012, 09:38 PM
    It is a gas water heater, the kind that vents right outside the house, not an elevated exhaust pipe. It is very loud when it is heating. I drained some water yesterday and it was hot, but the tank hasn't kicked on since and the water is cooler today. The plumber had said that he thought it could either be an air lock or something blocking the water outlet on the tank and for $97/hr he'd be glad to poke around but made NO guarantees. When I drained the water yesterday, there was a lot od sediment in it, but is clear now. It is just so weird that it was fine one minute and then no water at all the next.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 14, 2012, 07:52 AM
    Connect a garden hose to that drain spigot, direct it to a waste area and open the valve. Let it drain for 2-3 minutes and then close the valve. Let me know how long it takes for the heater to start heating. Do not close off the supply line to the heater while doing the drain/flush. Call a different plumber, this guy is clueless.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need to run the shower / tap for almost 10 minutes before the water turns hot... [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, hope you can help... I can get hot water out of my shower but it takes about 10 minutes after I turn it on to heat up and I hate wasting so much water. Once it gets hot it is fine. The taps throughout the house are the same. What's the problem?

Two taps fill a tank in 6 minutes, tap A fills tank in 10 minutes, how long does tap [ 2 Answers ]

Two taps A and B fill a tank in 6 minutes, tap A fills tank in 10 minutes, how long does tap B take to fill the tank?

First time open the tap get cold water after 5 minutes get hot water [ 7 Answers ]

When I open the tap get cold water after 5 minute get the hot water. I asked the water tank rental company they came and said problem with shut off valve not with the tank. Can someone let me know problem with water tank for shut of valve.

Hot water Trickles to Bathtup Tap only, Rest of house is fine [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guys, writing this from the UK as this seems to be the best plumbing board about, and as you can see, I hate plumbing. Basicall all my hot water taps are fine apart from the bathtub which barely gives a trickle (it does give something though). Now from reading up on here I suspet I have crud...

View more questions Search