Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sonyag1979 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2007, 06:15 PM
    Cost of end. Inv. And cost of goods sold under average cost
    It's me again!
    I have another question to the same problem. In case someone else responds, I'll post the problem again.

June 1 inv
    June 12 purch.
    June 23 purch.
    June 30 inv.
    I need to compute the cost of the ending inventory and the cost of goods sold using the average cost method.
    Will the results be higher or lower than the results under FIFO & LIFO? And why is the average unit cost not $6.00
    Please explain how to get the answer and why it's that way.

Thanks in advance.
    adiwsusanto Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2008, 02:59 AM
    The Average method is actually a "weighted" average method, meaning you have to divide the total value (quantity x unit cost) with the total quantity instead of just adding the 3 prices (5+6+7) & divide by 3.

Using the Avg method, your unit cost is then (1000+1800+3500)/ (200+300+500) = 6.3

Well, you didn't mention what's your inventory balance at 30June. Yet, if you understand the concept that FIFO means that your inventory balance will be based on the LATEST unit cost while LIFO means that your inventory balance will be based on the EARLIEST unit cost . Since the price is going up (from 5 to 6 then to 7), then using FIFO, you will have higher UNIT COST, this lower inventory value, using LIFO you have lower UNIT COST and using average somewhere in between.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cost of goods manufactured [ 2 Answers ]

In preparing a "cost of goods manufactured" statement, do I consider beginning finished goods and ending finished goods?

Cost of Goods Sold [ 1 Answers ]

I need help with the following question: The following information is available for Ace Company for 2007: Disbursements for purchases $1,050,000

Net sales-cost of goods sold= [ 2 Answers ]

What is the net sales minus cost of goods sold?

Cost of goods sold for software [ 0 Answers ]

I have developed a small software application to sell to my customers. How do I determine the cost of goods sold per unit if I don't know how many units I might sell. For example: if my development cost was $1000 and I sold two units for $10.00 each, I know I had $20.00 in sales but for accounting...

View more questions Search