Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MidtownCourt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2012, 03:36 PM
    Surviving Tenants rights breaking a rental lease when 1 of 2 occupants dies?
    A husband and wife hold a one year lease. The husband died and there's two months left on lease.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 12, 2012, 04:28 PM
    The lease is still valid and must be paid unless the landlord agrees to something less. When more than one person signs a lease that just means both parties are liable for the rent. Where are you located?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Apr 12, 2012, 07:48 PM
    Please let us know your location. In NJ if a tenant dies their spouse has the right to terminate the lease by giving 40 days written notice. It is possible that other states have similar laws.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenants rights to breaking a lease in SC [ 10 Answers ]

Hello everyone! I hope someone can help. We started looking for places to rent on the internet in May 2011 & signed a lease starting June 2011, however, we did not move until July. When we got here the place was WAY too small for us. The landlord stated to us over the phone that she would let...

Can a guarantor get out of a lease without the tenants breaking it? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm currently in a lease that my uncle is the guarantor for. The lease was started in September 2009 in Toronto. However I've since then decided to take the year off school and as such I will be going back home My roommate and I have spoken to the landlord and he would rather not break the...

NJ: Breaking a rental lease. [ 1 Answers ]

Good morning, My son and his wife (newlyweds) reside in an apartment complex in Blackwood NJ. They signed a year lease Dec 2006. Recently, my son was selected for a new job in North Carolina. They were told that to break the lease they would have to pay (2) months rent $1500.00 and lose their...

Rental House - Tenants Rights [ 6 Answers ]

I rent a single family house in New Jersey, the owner lives in another town, can she increase my rent any percentage she wants to or is there a law that governs rental increase practices for my type of rental. We are on a month to month lease for the past 18 years never had a written lease ever -...

View more questions Search