Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jamez46 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2012, 12:34 PM
    Ask about pvc male adaptor
    When it comes to 1 1/2 pvc male adaptors, I've noticed over the years that the threaded end seems to be shorter than usual or is that a different schedule type of pvc?
    puffmugs Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Apr 12, 2012, 03:14 PM
    I believe what you have, is what is know here as 1 1/2" desanco fitting used under sinks to connect a 1 1/2 trap to, not a 1 1/2 male adapter which has much more thread on it. Desancos many times come in the box or bag with 1 1/2 trap.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 12, 2012, 04:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by puffmugs View Post
    I believe what you have, is what is know here as 1 1/2" desanco fitting used under sinks to connect a 1 1/2 trap to, not a 1 1/2 male adapter which has much more thread on it. Desancos many times come in the box or bag with 1 1/2 trap.
    And I believe
    Puff nailed it. Also known as a Midland Bushing, (see image) Here's one in brass. Is this what you're asking about? Tom
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 12, 2012, 05:33 PM
    I believe Jamez is talking about PVC desanco vs male adapter exactly as Puffmugs suggested... see images.

The desanco fitting (or trap adapter) has shorter threading and a tapered interior edge to mate with the desanco washer. The male adapter is not tapered on the inside and has the longer thread shank as pictured below.

In a pinch, both will work as male adapters. A male adapter, on the other hand will NOT work as a desanco without tapering the interior... ;)

Mark
    Attached Images

Eternal Plumber

Apr 12, 2012, 05:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    I believe Jamez is talking about PVC desanco vs male adapter exactly as Puffmugs suggested...see images.

The desanco fitting (or trap adapter) has shorter threading and a tapered interior edge to mate with the desanco washer. The male adapter is not tapered on the inside and has the longer thread shank as pictured below.

In a pinch, both will work as male adapters. A male adapter, on the other hand will NOT work as a desanco without tapering the interior...;)

Mark
    Don't they call them Midland Bushing any more? Or did I put up the wrong image? Regards. Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 12, 2012, 06:55 PM
    Not familiar with that term, Tom... shows up as a brass reducing bushing (as the image you posted) in Google?
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 13, 2012, 05:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Not familiar with that term, Tom....shows up as a brass reducing bushing (as the image you posted) in google?
    You're correct I did put up a reducing bushing ( I didn't notice the inside threadss,) but back in Tampa in the 60's we called them Midland Bushings. I only heard them called desanco fittings once or twice.
    Never heard them called "trap adapters " but that's a good name for them. Same fitting, different names. Thanks for the correction. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Add PVC adaptor to lead flange [ 1 Answers ]

I have a lead drain riser on an old toilet. This leaked & caused the floor to rot. We removed the toilet & floor rot. I am replacing the existing flooring with tile which will raise the floor level. Is there a PVC adaptor that will fit & allow us to make the connection level with the new floor?

Extending a 1" PVC pipe with a male end [ 1 Answers ]

I have to extend a 1" drain pipe so it will reach the floor but don't want to dig up my floor. I was looking for a coupler with a female end to connect the pipe and a male end so I can screwn in a sealing washer and a locknut. I looked everywhere but can't seem to find a coupler to do this. ...

Connect male copper to female PVC/plastic [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out how to connect and seal a male copper pipe (from bathtub drain) to a female PVC coupling (to drain/sewer). The plumber that repaired the original, cracked coupling used a blue 'putty' to seal the M to F connection, but I used Drano to clear a clog and I think it ruined the...

Configuring a WLAN adaptor [ 8 Answers ]

I have installed a Senao cd plus ext2 wireless PCMCIA card that unfortunately came without an installation CD. I downloaded and installed the drivers, and the Device Manager shows that the card is working. However, without the CD, I am unable to launch the Client Utility that would let me...

AC Adaptor for Nano [ 3 Answers ]

I have just purchased an AC adapter for Apple Nano 2GB. The ac adaptor has following specifications; Ac input 90-260V Output 4.9V to 11V DC I am not sure should I connect it with my Nano or not. Nano can be charged with USB port which gives 5V DC but the new adaptor says 4.9V to 11V....

View more questions Search