Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kneedeep11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2012, 07:19 AM
    How to replace 2 20 amp breakers with 1 duel pole 80 amp
    I'm replacing my hot water heater with a tankless heater the breaker needs to be 80amps I currently have 2 20 amp breakers tied together can I replace those 2 with 1 100 amp breaker and change the wiring also to 8 gauge?
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Apr 12, 2012, 07:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneedeep11 View Post
    I'm replacing my hot water heater with a tankless heater the breaker needs to be 80amps i currently have 2 20 amp breakers tied together can i replace those 2 with 1 100 amp breaker and change the wiring also to 8 guage?
    The changeover will need revising to match the product manufacturer's installation specifications requirements. The load may be considered continuous, thus NEC code will require increased conductor and breaker sizing. Again, without guessing, see the manufacturer listed product requirements. nmwirez
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2012, 08:42 AM
    Yes, two single pole breakers can be removed and replaced with a 2 pole 80 Amp breaker.

You state that the new water heater needs a 80 amp breaker, why do you mention a 100 Amp breaker?

No, #8 wire cannot be served by a 100 amp breaker, nor an 80 Amp fot that matter.

#8 copper wire, if NM-B (Romex) cable can have a maximum breaker of 40 Amp, and if THHN pulled in conduit or in MC cable, max CB is 50 Amp.

What you need to be most concerned about is if the existing service can handle this large additional load.

And do not use #8 wire on an 80 or 100 amp circuit breaker.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sub-panels with 50 amp outlet and breakers being fed by two pole 100 amp main service [ 3 Answers ]

I have a number of sub-panels with a 50 amp breaker for a 50 amp RV outlet being fed by a two pole 100 amp main service 120/240, I want to know how many 50 amp outlets I can safely install, will I need to upgrade the main service panel to accommodate more 50 amp RV outlets?

Does Square D manufacture 3 pole 225 amp QO or QOB type circuit breakers? [ 5 Answers ]

I currently have an NQ-type Square D panelboard with a 400 A main breaker. I need to get ahold of 3 pole 225 amp circuit breakers for an upcoming project. I need the circuit breakers to be either QO or QOB type (plug-on or bolt-on). I need to know if these are manufactured, and if so I would like...

Replace main 100 amp breakers [ 1 Answers ]

Can I replace the 100 amp main pushmatic breakers with a different more available type?

View more questions Search