Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jukiera Posts: 29, Reputation: 5

Apr 11, 2012, 07:40 AM
    My dog just RECENTLY developed milk or is developing milk.
    OK so my pit-bull is just developed milk a few days ago, and I was wondering if anyone had an idea when she will go in labor? I believe between now and 2 weeks, but what do you think?

PLEASE NO NEGATIVE ANSWERS!! My dog is WELL taking care of and we have everything she needs when she goes into labor and we have a room already laid out for her and her pups where she spends most of her time.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 11, 2012, 08:01 AM
    Without knowing more of her history it is IMPOSSIBLE to accurately answer your question.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 11, 2012, 09:02 AM
    Usually produce milk fhe last week of pregnancy, so yes you are probably correct; I would say she will be in labor in a week.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2012, 10:56 AM
    Gestation period is 63 days... If you had your b*tch with a male when she was in season unsupervised then you are out of luck, you will just have to keep a very close eye on her over the coming week/s.

I agree with Tickle in saying it is probably close to a week, but you can't know for sure, it could be tomorrow it could be 2 weeks time, this is why recordings matings is very important.

Apr 11, 2012, 07:21 PM
    She mated towards the end of Feb but she and my other dog did it like from feb 23-29 so I honestly don't know which day to count from.

Apr 11, 2012, 07:21 PM
    Thanks everyone for you inputs
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2012, 08:25 PM
    Ahhh okay, multiple matings make it hard when they are spaced out so I can feel your frustration. Were they only mated the twice on 23 and 29 or were there multiple matings?

Just for future reference most breeders will do multiple matings as you have done, but usually only a couple and each one is recorded. So if the b*tch is obviously not ready to whelp 63 days after the first mating, you can assume it was the second one that took.
    It also complicates things when they don't fall pregnant the day of the mating too and it can take up to a few days later.

Signs to watch out for are nesting, restlessness, panting... All signs she is very close. About 24 hours before whelping there will be a drop in temperature as well.

Apr 12, 2012, 05:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Ahhh okay, multiple matings make it hard when they are spaced out so I can feel your frustration. Were they only mated the twice on 23 and 29 or were there multiple matings?

Just for future reference most breeders will do multiple matings as you have done, but usually only a couple and each one is recorded. So if the b*tch is obviously not ready to whelp 63 days after the first mating, you can assume it was the second one that took.
    It also complicates things when they don't fall pregnant the day of the mating too and it can take up to a few days later.

Signs to watch out for are nesting, restlessness, panting... All signs she is very close. About 24 hours before whelping there will be a drop in temperature as well.
    It was multiple matings. Once on the 23 and 25, twice on the 26, once on the 27 and 29
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2012, 06:17 AM
    How are you going to "paper" the dog if there were multiple matings? Or were all the matings with one male?

Apr 20, 2012, 06:23 AM
    She mated only with my other pit that I have
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2012, 07:13 AM
    Good news - okay. Is this her first litter? I didn't notice her age.

At any rate - here is some good info: Stages Of Canine Labor - When Your Dog Gives Birth

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am on the depo shot and my breast recently started leaking milk [ 2 Answers ]

Can you be pregnant on the depo shot and not know it because my boobs recently started leaking milk the are very sore and tender I took a pregnancy test and it was negative should a see a doctor

My dog and Milk thistle [ 2 Answers ]

We give her 10 drops 3 time a day as vet recommended .How long will it take for milk thistle to help my 11 year old yorkie? With liver disease

How long will it take for my pregnant dog to produce milk? [ 1 Answers ]

My blue apbt is about 40 days into her pregnancy how long till she produces milk?

Dog Milk production [ 4 Answers ]

What to do for a female dog having problems with caking breast.

Which milk rottens faster soy milk or cow milk and why [ 1 Answers ]

Which milk rottens faster soy milk or cow milk and why?

View more questions Search