Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jdespa84 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2012, 10:58 PM
    What's the best way to add 3500 watts to a room
    I am filling up a room with various electrical equipment, I need about 3500 watts and I rather not use the circuit that's already in the room
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2012, 02:48 AM
    Adding two 20 amp 120 volt circuits would provide 3840 watts capacity for future load.
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Apr 12, 2012, 08:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jdespa84 View Post
    i am filling up a room with various electrical equipment, i need about 3500 watts and i rather not use the circuit thats already in the room
    A standard 12 awg conductor on a 20 Amp circuit can actually supply up to a rated 30 Amps if the type insulation supports the temperatures permitted, otherwise you need to run a branch circuit to match the load(s) you are adding. (I.e. A 10 awg 30 amp branch circuit to new outlets with a breaker properly sized to protect the circuit wiring will handle over 3.5 kW continuous.)
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2012, 08:49 AM
    Nmwirez,

Your advice is incorrect.

#12 copper wire, no matter the temp rating of the insulation is, cannot be protected by a overcurrent protection device larger than 20 amp, see the asterisk next to #12 wire listed in Table 310.16, that refers to NEC 2008 Section 240.4(D).

Also, a 30 amp circuit cannot serve standard 15 or 20 amp receptacles.

Apr 12, 2012, 09:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    Nmwirez,

Your advice is incorrect.

#12 copper wire, no matter the temp rating of the insulation is, cannot be protected by a overcurrent protection device larger than 20 amp, see the asterisk next to #12 wire listed in Table 310.16, that refers to NEC 2008 Section 240.4(D).

Also, a 30 amp circuit cannot serve standard 15 or 20 amp receptacles.
    Please read the information carefully. A #12 AWG copper wire is rated for 30 Amps for a 90 C rated conductor. See NEC Art 310.16 (2011) for ampacity factoring. Depending on conditions of duty rating and voltage, a 12 AWG can most certainly use a higher overcurrent protection device. The OP did not detail what conditions were being applied let alone receptacle or switch listed grade devices. Please remove the incorrect from your comment.
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2012, 09:52 AM
    No, I will not retract that your advice is incorrect.

See Table 310.15(B)(16) of the 2011 edition of the NEC.

Adjacent to the #12 copper is two **, see footnote at bottom of Table 310.15(B)(16):

** Refer to 240.4(D) for conductor overcurrent protection limitations

Section 240.4(D) 5 states: #12 AWG Copper. 20 Amperes
    Simply, the maximum fuse or circuit breaker to protect a #12 copper wire, no matter the temp rating of insulation, shall not exceed 20 amps.

The higher amp ratings shown under the 75 C or 90 C degree columns may be used for derating purposes, which is irellevant to this question.

Sorry, but I will not back off this.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2012, 10:55 AM
    nmwirez... Please do not offer incorrect or unsafe advice which is clearly not up to the NEC.
    This is a do it yourself site and wrong, incorrect and irresponsible information like that which you posted can be dangerous to other members without sufficient knowledge to understand just how incorrect you are.

Apr 12, 2012, 10:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
    nmwirez....Please do not offer incorrect or unsafe advice which is clearly not up to the NEC.
    This is a do it yourself site and wrong, incorrect and irresponsible information like that which you posted can be dangerous to other members without sufficient knowledge to understand just how incorrect you are.
    Hi Missouri Bound,

I agree if this is applicable to home wiring in general. The data I gave is in reference to installations beyond the 240.4(D) applications that are additional in 240.4(E) or (G) conditions.

See Table 240,4(G) used in electrical conductor size factoring commonly applied in refrigeration and air-conditioning equipment OCPD's such as 25Amp fused or breaker protected 12 AWG runs. This is motor equipment Article 440 applied and mainly commercial but also in residential A/C equipment.

Bundled and ambient correctional adjustments are factored by selecting the type insulation ratings for those higher adjusted temperature conditions.

As tkrussel is referring to the 240.4(D) maximum permitted requirements that apply to nm wiring for common conductor sizes 14 awg= 15A, 12awg=20A, 10awg=30A, 8awg=40A... and so on, can be found in the Table 310.16 (2008) or the Table 310.15(B)(16) (2011) Allowable Ampacities charts of insulated conductors in the NEC. My statements are accurate but broad and did not apply technically in most standard dwelling in-wall circuit instances. nmwirez
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2012, 11:12 AM
    I appreciate your answer and I understand where you are coming from completely. And I'm glad that you acknowledge that your advice to the poster was in error for the application and situation as stated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can 220 volts handle 3500 watts [ 1 Answers ]

I want to install a chimney free electric fireplace, power requirements are 3,500w. I have 220 in the house, wiil the fireplace work without problems to the electric?

How to add on to a screened room [ 1 Answers ]

I have a pool encloser and I want to add another screen room to it. How would you hook them together so you could remove the screen in between.

What is heat gain from 16,000 rated watts of computer server room equipment? [ 4 Answers ]

I need to plan an A/C system to offset heat gain from server equipment and other electronics. The rating plates on everything totals 16,000 watts, but how much heat should I count on from these pieces. It isn't all heat, is it?

Roughly, how much do you think it would be to add on a room? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in central California, close to San Jose. I'm buying a house for the first time, but I need an extra room. The market here it is extremley hard to find what you're looking for. I finally found the right house and it has a good size backyard with more then enough room to add onto the house. ...

Can I use 3500 watt water heater elements to replace 3800 watts? [ 3 Answers ]

I haven't actually pulled the elements yet but the tag on the water heater shows elements rated at 3800 watts. The ones readily available at the local big box are even numbered, 3500, 4500,5500. Can I use the 3500 watt rated elements to replace elements in this water heater?

View more questions Search