Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bucks153704 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2007, 01:52 PM
    Wire wrap
    Can anyone tell me if there is a specific NEC code that states you MUST wrap copper wire for receptacles under the screw clock-wise?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2007, 05:42 PM
    This will be addressed by:
    Section 110.3(B) Installation and Use Listed and labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling.

As quoted from the NEC 2005 edition.

This will require that the UL listing of any electrical product has been approved by the characteristics of the product, standard mechanical practices and installation methods, all which will be address in the instructions of that product.

Terminals designed for wrapping a wire around it is called a "wire binding" connection. It has been established many years ago that the clockwise action of tightening a standard right hand threaded screw helps and assists the wire to be drawn in around the axis of the screw causing the screw to be tight and remain tight.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Neutral wire is hot(has voltage potential like the black wire) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, The problem started at midnight last week. One of my line in the basement is starting to have issue whenever I connect a water pump or appliances to the outlets. Before I plug the appliance in, the neutral is neutral(zero voltage), but when I plug the appliance in, the neutral is now...

3-wire home, 3-wire fan, 2-wire remote [ 9 Answers ]

Greetings, My home is 3-wire. I bought a Hunter ceiling fan (model 23811). The fan came with a remote assy. That I do NOT want to use... The fan has standard 3-wire connections (black, white, blk&white strip, ground). The remote receiver home-side wiring looks to be for 2-wire (blk and white)....

4 wire home service entrance wire size [ 1 Answers ]

Mobile home requires 4 wire electrical service entrance wire. Distance is 160 foot from meter to breaker panel. 220V service. What size wire do I use? Can I use diff. size for neutral and ground?

2 Wire White-Rogers with no wallplate wire question [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there. I want to replace my current White-Rogers 1E56W309 thermostat with a new Honeywell RTH7500D. The problem is that the tools that installed my high efficiency furnace didn't install the wall plate with my thermostat (it was a new house and the builder contracted these guys). Instead,...

Wiring a 2 wire thermostat to a 4 wire system [ 1 Answers ]

I have a gas furnace equipped with central air.The compressor is shot in the AC unit,and I needed to replace the thermostat so I bought a heating only thermostat.I have the blower and the w wires together on the w terminal designation and the rh on the r terminal designation, and I have the y wire...

View more questions Search