Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2012, 12:19 PM
    Bad Electrolyte in Caps Failing Many Large Screen TV's?
    I didn't realize it was such a problem, Anyone have info on determining which manufacturers Produced them, and those who uses them?
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2012, 08:59 PM
    Mostly the TVs from a few years ago that use switch-mode power supplies.

The biggest ones affected were the Samsungs with the models LN-TXX61/71/etc and LN-XXA550/650/750/etc.

Also a lot of LGs were affected.

Some Samsung and Mitsubishi DLPs were affected also. The Samsung DLPs though were, if I recall correctly, on the ballast and the power supply was taking out the ballast so both needed to be replaced.

EDIT: The caps would be visually bulged and the symptoms were usually either the TV's relay clicking on/off without the unit turning on or taking a long time before turning on. I've also seen where the caps will cause picture problems across the whole screen. I have also seen a couple LN-XXB640 Samsung models that had bad caps.
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2012, 06:50 AM
    1 of my customers gave me a Samsung LN-T4661F.
    Left side of the screen is dark at startup. Then clears up in about a half an hour.
    There is also this 1 dark cloud shape that never changes.
    They also gave me 11 Electrolytics they bought intending to fix but didn't.
    I believe the caps will fix the first problem, but not the cloud? Will see.
    I use the soldering Iron with the bulb attached, I have seen primitive methods used on Youtube type sites, Pull with pliers and apply heat, they will stop when a trace lifts off the board.
    I don't think they are aware of other methods?
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2012, 03:42 PM
    Hey Faded, Thanks.
    Just got a chance to install the caps, supposed to be a generic set of common Samsung Sets, However Had extras on the 2200uF, and needed more 1000uf.
    Did fix the dark laft half on start up, still has that "cloud"? I feel it is a physical thing, not electronic. Maybe excessive pressure on the screen when being moved? Not Bad, just noticeable.
    I had an Olevia needing 2 2200uf's, and a 470, installed the 2 left over from the Samsung and fixed that set which would not turn on. It still needs the 470 and will install next chance.
    It seems like it is mostly common with the power supplies?

Here is the Type of desoldering iron if someone wants to attempt:
    http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CEIQ8wIwAA#
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2012, 12:10 PM
    The cloud sounds like de-lamination of the panel -- not something you're going to be able to economically fix.

I just use my soldering iron to heat the solder then pull the cap out one end at a time. After it's out I'll clean up the solder using a solder wick. Sometimes you can remove the solder first with the wick, but I know on some of the Samsung power supplies it can be a pain, so I've become accustomed to just heating the solder up then removing the cap.
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2015, 08:18 AM
    I know its an old post, but Radio Shack and others have a Desoldering Iron with a squeeze bulb, has a hollow tip. Wont heat up the board as much. Take Care

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Failing pre drug screen [ 1 Answers ]

Where would I look to see if I was on a list for failing pre drug screen

On av channels a large green icon appears on screen, it is a bush TV, how do I remove [ 1 Answers ]

When I go to an av channel a large icon appears on screen How do I remove this icon

Print screen too large [ 3 Answers ]

When I have a document or e-mail to print, I get to the print screen but the tabs on the bottom "OK" "Cancel" do not show on the screen. Therefore, I cannot print. Does anyone know how to fix this?

My TV's screen button won't turn on? [ 1 Answers ]

My TV is phillips LCD. It has this button when you click it the screen turns on. When I click this button, it either flashes or stays still for 3 or 4 seconds. Any help?

View more questions Search