Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JeffP2011 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2012, 01:37 PM
    Gift Tax Form for Money sent to parents
    I sent my parents about $60,000 in India. All the money was transferred to my father's account (not joint account). Part of the money ($12000) was used to purchase some property. I am wondering how much should I declare as a gift. Should I declare the entire $60000 as a gift or the 48000 (60k-12k). How much exemption can I take (I would like to split it with my wife)? 13000*2 = 26000 or can I consider my mom as a recipient since my parents live together and consider 2*13000*2=52000. I would appreciate your response.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 9, 2012, 01:52 PM
    The full amount of $60K is a gift - it doesn't matter that your father used a portion to purchase property for himself. Since you are allowed a $13000 annual exmption from gift tax reporting you could minimize the tax implications by making the gift jointly to both your parents, and providing the funds from a joint account that you have with your wife. That way you can apply 4 x $13K = $52K of exemption. The remaining $8K must be reported using the gift tax return, although it's unlikely that you would actually owe any tax on this gift.

Apr 9, 2012, 01:55 PM
    Thanks for the quick response. Sorry, I forgot to mention. The property was purchased in my name. Also, the funds were sent from my account (not a joint account with my wife). So, I guess I can only claim either 13K or 26K. I don't think I owe any taxes as it is still within the 5 million limit.

Apr 16, 2012, 10:56 AM
    So, can anyone please update whether the 12K that was used to purchase property excluded from the gift value reported?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you deposit money given as a gift by parents visiting USA [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am on H4 visa. I am planning to open a joint account with my husband. Our parents Are visiting us for from India for a couple of months. They wanted to give us gift of some amount in dollars (in cash) which they will be bringing while visiting us . I wanted to know if we can deposit that...

Money transfer gift tax [ 5 Answers ]

I had been working in the US 5 years ago. My earnings are still in a US checking account. I want to transfer my money back to Germany. Unfortunately the bank canceled the wire transfer by phone. This means I would have to fly to the US. Another option would be that a write a cheque to an US person,...

Am I subject to gift tax for sending money to family relatives that live overseas [ 1 Answers ]

How much money can my wife, who is a permanent resident alien, and I, a U.S. citizen, send to my wife's sister who is a Chinese citizen without being subjected to the gift tax?

Is there gift tax on foreign money? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is Olesya, and I am resident of USA since 2005 trying to buy a condo here. My Dad lives in Latvia and wants to transfer me money from his saving for the downpayment (100,000.00$) My question is: Would he have to pay gift tax on it, or I will have to pay something? Thank you

Tax on gift from Parents [ 2 Answers ]

Hello My parents wish to send some money from India to help me make a downpayment on a property. How would I have to declare this, if I need to? I understand there is a 12K limit per year per person, so if they wer to give me 12K and my 12K, would we have to file taxes separately or would...

View more questions Search