Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sam_gh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2007, 11:22 AM
    Form W4 - clarification
    I was in USA for 3 months in 2005 (july to Sep) as a Non resident Alien. At that time I claimed Allowances/Exemptions - 2 in my payroll. I have again come to USA in January, 2007. Now my employer is telling me to submit the W4 Form with Allowances/Exemptions -1. On both the occasions, I had a L1 visa and I am single. Can you please tell me how come there are changes in the taxation for a Non Resident Alien? Also, is there any tax benefit if a NRA gets married? What are the eligibility criteria for a NRA to become a resident alien?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 21, 2007, 11:28 AM
    The W-4 just provides guidance to the employer on how much to withhold from your paycheck for federal income taxes. It denotes NO policy change for taxation on non-resident aliens.

You become a resident alien when you spend ALL of the year as an L-1 visaholder.
    sam_gh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2007, 11:39 AM
    Does it mean that I can still claim Exemtions/Allowances - 2 in the current year?

My employer is saying that -- "As per the new IRS rule a Non-Resident Alien can claim maximum withholding allowance of ‘1’ and the martial status as single ‘S’ even if he/she is married. If you have mentioned NRA or Non-Resident Alien in the W4 form then you can only claim ‘S’ in the martial status column and ‘1’ in the point # 5 of the Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate."... is this true? I really cannot figure it out...
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 22, 2007, 11:24 AM
    I am unaware of the policy you cite, but it makes sense from an IRS point of view.

They want to make sure that enough taxes are withheld from your salary to force you to file a tax return at the end of the year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Form W7 clarification [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1B here starting Oct 1 06. And my wife and daughter have joined me Oct 16. And they will be going back to india for a period of 4 months at end of nov 06. I asked question about taxes in my case and got the reply of I can get all my tax refund for this year after filing tax return....

Can you file more than one w2 form on one nys tax form or do you need additional forms? [ 1 Answers ]

We live in nys and my friend has had 3 different jobs throughout the year. Does he file all w2's on one form or have a form for each?

Non-Resident Status 2006 Clarification [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was going through some of the questions that were answered using the same topic, but was not sure if I got the answer which would help me out, so here goes.. I'm an Indian, single, working in India, who landed in the U.S. for the first time on July 8th 2006, on an L1 Visa, which was...

Request for clarification on state tax [ 1 Answers ]

Question: I am on H1B Visa. My employer a consulting services firm based in Texas. I am working for a client of my employer who is in Vireginia. My wife works and stays in West Virginia. I used to stay in Texas and visits my wife in westvirginia on week ends. Due to my services for the client...

Rough-in Clarification [ 1 Answers ]

I have a three-level townhouse, built ~1998, which has a rough-in half-bath on the ground level (all finished walls with lighting and exhaust fan). There are two pipes--one (1) 4" pipe in the concrete floor for the toilet; one (1) 2" pipe in the wall for the sink. (NOTE: Opposite that wall is...

View more questions Search