Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2012, 08:49 AM
    I support PETA.
    I agree that we should treat animals "ethically".

... but I also support People Eating Tasty Animals

:)

... I saw that on a bumper sticker this morning and loved it... so just thought I'd pass it along.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 9, 2012, 09:13 AM
    And I bet you have rabbit for dinner each Easter. Deer for Christmas
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2012, 10:07 AM
    I was tempted to skewer and roast my daughter's pet rabbit yesterday since it keeps getting out of it's cage and then hiding from us.

And I do love venison. I'm not a hunter (I find hunting boring), but I do love it when my neighbor brings me Deer steaks from his hunting trips.

I am a cow lover. They are good looking and most of their parts taste real good :)
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2012, 03:46 PM
    Rick,

My son works at a grocery store in the meat department and he said some lady came in and started yelling at him. She wanted to know if the store sold poodles and German shephards too. She was upset they sold rabbit and she was yelling at him like he shot the dang thing and wrapped it up to sell. He said he wanted to tell her she really wasn't going to be happy with the squirrel gravy they were selling in the deli. Ha ha... thought that was kind of funny. ( and no they don't sell squirrel gravy in the deli) ha
    Uber Member

May 21, 2012, 05:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    Rick,

My son works at a grocery store in the meat department and he said some lady came in and started yelling at him. She wanted to know if the store sold poodles and German shephards too. She was upset they sold rabbit and she was yelling at him like he shot the dang thing and wrapped it up to sell. He said he wanted to tell her she really wasn't going to be happy with the squirrel gravy they were selling in the deli. ha ha...thought that was kinda funny. ( and no they don't sell squirrel gravy in the deli) ha

That's the type of story that gets passed down 1-2 generations.

I bet he was grimacing to avoid laughing his rump roast off :)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 1, 2012, 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    I was tempted to skewer and roast my daughter's pet rabbit yesterday since it keeps getting out of it's cage and then hiding from us.

And I do love venison. I'm not a hunter (I find hunting boring), but I do love it when my neighbor brings me Deer steaks from his hunting trips.

I am a cow lover. They are good looking and most of their parts taste real good :)
    OMG! Not the bunny! NOOOOOOO!

I can give you some solutions to keep bunny in his cage, but don't you dare eat him. Rabbits are friends, not food.

But, eat the deer, and the cow, oh, and pigs, and chickens, and all those tasty critters. But leave the bunnies be. :)
    Mupsaunk Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Jul 1, 2012, 03:57 PM
    It agree, it is the remarkable information
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 1, 2012, 04:03 PM
    Just don't name the silly things.

I raised rabbits when I lived in south Georgia, along with pigs and a cow or two. Well the rabbits went fine, in outside cages and hutches, they multiplied ( well like rabbits).

I would butcher them at the proper time, we would eat a few and I would sell a bunch..

All went good till the boys started helping too much, they would take them out of the cages from time to time and started to name them.

So it was much harder to eat "Thumper" or "Cotton Tail" And to be honest and not going into detail about how I would kill them, ( normal way for rabbits) but holding them up, and knowing their names, I just could not kill them next time.
    Pets Expert

Jul 1, 2012, 06:55 PM
    So it was much harder to eat "Thumper" or "Cotton Tail" And to be honest and not going into detail about how I would kill them, ( normal way for rabbits) but holding them up, and knowing their names, I just could not kill them next time.
    I'm finding it a bit disturbing that you chose the names Thumper and Cotton Tail. I have a Thumper, and a Cotton, also an Oreo (don't get any ideas, she's not tasty!) and a Kilala (she'd eat you before you could even get your hands on her). ;)

I say again. Rabbits are friends, not food. But eat fish. Fish are nummy. :)
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2012, 10:32 AM
    I'm not a fan of rabbit meat ;but my wife wouldn't pass on a Lapin a La Cocotte or Braised Rabbit . Also went to Quebec and found this place that had the most amazing smoked venison ,elk ,bison meat. Yummm!
    Pets Expert

Jul 2, 2012, 01:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    I'm not a fan of rabbit meat ;but my wife wouldn't pass on a Lapin a La Cocotte or Braised Rabbit . Also went to Quebec and found this place that had the most amazing smoked venison ,elk ,bison meat. yummm !!
    I had my first taste of bison meat, without knowing what it was, the other day. A friend gave my husband some ground bison meat, and he made hamburgers. I knew there was something different, just thought it was a bad beef.

I have to say, it was okay, but I wasn't a huge fan.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2012, 01:41 PM
    Has to be smoked.
    I imagine it is too lean for burgers.
    Pets Expert

Jul 2, 2012, 01:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    has to be smoked.
    I imagine it is too lean for burgers.
    It really is. The burgers literally fell apart when my husband bbq'd them.

That was the first thing I noticed when he served them.

All in all they were okay, but not great. I prefer beef. ;)

A few years ago our neighbor killed a moose, and we got moose steaks from him. I didn't think I'd be a fan, but I have to say, those were good steaks. Very good.

My favorite by far has been the deer jerky. Just thinking about it is making my mouth water.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 2, 2012, 02:52 PM
    I'm the biggest PETA PITA hypocrite on the planet. Tears well up as I read about mistreatment of animals before and during slaughter, then eat them anyway. I claim I will never eat pork again because pigs are so intelligent, then eat them anyway. I swear I will only buy free range chicken and grass fed beef, and then go right to the cheapest cuts anyway. FISH - feh. I don't feel sorry for them. Except for the time my town drained a pond and I was knee deep in muck trying to save the minnows flopping around dying. I have PETA notices on my Facebook and can't even finish watching a secret video of the elephants dying at Ringling Bros. Under that I have recipes from Perdue.
    I guess I will go to my grave a hypocrite. Hopefully I will be B-B-Qd when I die. (I was going to say grokked, remembering that that including eating people from Stranger in a Strange Land, but now I find no reference to it that at all online, thereby doubting my memory.)
    Pets Expert

Jul 2, 2012, 05:02 PM
    Joy, I'm the same way.

I love all animals. I hate the thought of them being mistreated, and I've watched videos on how they slaughter chickens, and cows, and swore I'd never eat meat again. But damn, it's just too tasty.

Truthfully, if I had to kill what I ate, I'd be a vegetarian. I'd never eat meat again. I can't even kill a fish, which is why I still have two fish, free to a good home, I'll deliver, tank included.

I've programed myself to believe that the meat I buy is okay, because it's already dead, and if I don't eat it it will go bad and that animal will have died for nothing. Right? RIGHT! ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I sue a child support agency for not enforcing support orders? [ 15 Answers ]

In 2002, a NY family court ordered my ex-husband (the non-custodial parent of our 2 minor children) to pay child support in the amount of $250 per week. This court order was subsequently made a part of our divorce decree in 2005. In 2004, the NCP moved from NY to OR then eventually to CA to...

Is there a stute of limition on sposal support and child support in because canada [ 1 Answers ]

I have been separated for 7+ years in BC Canada. Children are now over 19. Is there a limitation on the time my spouse can claim child and spousal support?

Can a man after paying support for 15 yrs request paternity and get support stopped [ 2 Answers ]

If a man paid child support for 15 yrs and begins to question paternity can he get this stopped

View more questions Search