Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    axdwdrgc Posts: 86, Reputation: 3

Apr 9, 2012, 08:22 AM
    How do you know if you have A.D.D?
    So lately I've been having symptoms of A.D.D/ ADHD. I've never really noticed it before though before this year. This year I've started to have difficulty paying attention in class and my grades have dropped and I noticed that I always start a lot of projects a few days before they're due. I find it difficult to work in groups because I always get off topic and my family says I talk too much. My sister always says that she's confused when I talk because I'll go from one subject to another without even thinking. Last year my history teacher called me impulsive on my report card and said that was the reason I make many poor decisions. Most of the time I'm hyper but I can control it so I don't think I have ADHD. I do get good grades in my classes but that's
    Only in the ones I like math and science though I never pay attention. When someone talks to me I'll always start to think of something else subconsciously and be lost with whatever they were saying and I ALWAYS interrupt even if I don't mean to. Everyone also says I'm very creative and think of the strangest things. But I'm confused on how could have ADD if no one in my family has ever had ADD or ADHD. How would I ask my parents to get me tested? They think I just can't focus because I haven't been getting enough sleep but all this started happening last year. And my parents say I was always the odd one out because my siblings would go to sleep but I would walk around the house and I still do that. Also I know that online test aren't accurate but they all say that I should get tested. I also find myself getting into the strange part of YouTube a little more often then everyone else. I'll search puppies and the next thing I know I'm on a video of the Spongebob Squarepants theme playing backwards and pictures of Patrick as a zombie. I'm just confused please help.
    neronplat Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Apr 9, 2012, 07:11 PM
    You sound completely normal, if this is what ADHD/ADD is, then a lot of people could relate to it and think they have it too. If you really think you have it talk to your GP/Doctor

Apr 28, 2012, 01:08 PM
    Is this ADD?
    So lately I've been having symptoms of A.D.D/ ADHD. I've never really noticed it before though before this year. This year I've started to have difficulty paying attention in class and my grades have dropped and I noticed that I always start a lot of projects a few days before they're due. I find it difficult to work in groups because I always get off topic.

My family says I talk too much. My sister always says that she's confused when I talk because I'll go from one subject to another without even thinking. Last year my history teacher called me impulsive on my report card and said that was the reason I make many poor decisions. Most of the time I'm hyper but I can control it so I don't think I have ADHD. I do get good grades in my classes but that's only in the ones I like--math and science--though I never pay attention.

When someone talks to me I'll always start to think of something else subconsciously and be lost with whatever they were saying and I ALWAYS interrupt even if I don't mean to. Everyone also says I'm very creative and think of the strangest things.

But I'm confused on how I could have ADD if no one in my family has ever had ADD or ADHD. How would I ask my parents to get me tested? They think I just can't focus because I haven't been getting enough sleep but all this started happening last year. And my parents say I was always the odd one out because my siblings would go to sleep but I would walk around the house and I still do that.

Also I know that online test aren't accurate but they all say that I should get tested. I also find myself getting into the strange part of YouTube a little more often then everyone else. I'll search puppies and the next thing I know I'm on a video of the spongebob square pants theme playing backwards and pictures of Patrick as a zombie. I'm just confused.

I also lose my stuff and school papers frequently. I have A LOT of difficulty paying attention and my teachers have sometimes complained that if I tried harder than I'd do better but I just can't cause I can't focus. If this helps at all I hate doing things like reading or committing a lot of time to something like figuring out a hard math question so I'll just skip it instead. I feel like I need and organizing cabinet for my brain.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 28, 2012, 01:17 PM
    How old are you and what year in school? Male or female?

Apr 29, 2012, 11:08 AM
    I'm 12 in sixth grade and female

Jun 6, 2012, 10:19 PM
    ADHD inattentive type?
    I've been suspecting that I have ADHD in attentive type (ADD) for around 4 months and I can trace back my symptoms to kindergarten. If you need more of a description you can refer to my other post "Is this ADD?". Anyway, I've been trying to tell my parents by telling them constantly that I just can't concentrate even when I try but then my mom just responds with "Then you'll just have to learn" or " Don't say can't" in a scolding manner and my dad responds with " You should listen to the learn Chinese cd we bought". I've asked people how to concentrate better and none of their methods have worked. I'm too scared to tell them directly that I think I have ADD because the last person I told my educated guess to laughed and told me I was being ridiculous and that there was nothing wrong with me. So is there a way I can tell my parents things that would lead them to find out more about ADD without actually mentioning ADD? I need to find out if I have ADD quickly because it will be more difficult to manage once I get to upper school and after. Please don't tell me to just tell them my suspicions directly because they won't believe me unless they connect the dots themselves. I'm atally surprised they haven't thought of this before I think it's because I don't get bad grades because of my in attention but that's only because I've never had to try hard in school. So for a final time a state my question Is there a way to have my parents connect the dots themselves by me just nudging them in the right direction so to speak.
    Thanks!
    PS if there are any spelling mistakes or grammar issues in this post it's because of autocorrect or the fact that I'm using a flat keyboard on an iPad to type this

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search