Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leslee83 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2012, 02:23 AM
    Dentist did not offer crown after root canal?
    My dentist did a root canal about 14 moths ago. It was my first. I was eating some granola cereal ( which was soft) today and part of my tooth broke off! So I started looking online to see what I should do before getting in to my dentist. Then after researching it seems the majority of people get a crown or at least get offered that option. Is it normal to leave it without a crown? I always felt like it was not as strong as it should be so I avoided chewing anything hard on it. I already paid $2000 for the root canal! Now I'm afraid to see how much this is going to be to get it fixed. My question is basically did my dentist overlook this or is this a normal practice after a root canal? Thanks in advance!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 8, 2012, 07:55 AM
    He probably didn't overlook it nor is it common practice to not offer a crown. Quite probably just did the root canal, filled your tooth with amalgam, a common filler and because fhe tooth was in good shape after, he did not find it necessary. Just because a piece of the tooth broke off could only mean slight repair.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 8, 2012, 08:56 AM
    And in 14 months, a tooth may have developed other issues, in 14 months when you went in for your yearly check up, was anything noticed ? In 14 months you can end up with dozens of teeth issues

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why does dentist say I need another root canal? [ 5 Answers ]

When I was fourteen years old, I had a root canal done. Now I am 23 years old, and I have a new dentsit. My new dentist say I need a root canal, but the other dentist who my old dentsist refire me to a dentist when I was fourteen did the root canal. I have a new dentist because my other dentist...

Dentist says my 14 year old needs a root canal. [ 3 Answers ]

My son is 14 years old the dentist says he needs a root canal. My question is after he grows up and his mouth grows won't he need more work to the root canal and a larger tooth?

Why did my dentist put on a crown without a root canal? [ 5 Answers ]

Two years ago my dentist worked with my front incisors which had been broken in a freak pogo-stick accident when I was a child. Way back then, my childhood dentist told me one day the teeth might die and need root canals. Fifteen years later, I developed a blister over one of the incisors and...

I got a root canal and needed crown lengthening but got billed for a crown? [ 10 Answers ]

I went to a new dentist for a horrible tooth ache. They took a full set of X-rays which is fine but I just needed them to look at the one tooth ASAP. I was told I needed a root canal, crown lengthening, and porcelien crown. I could not afford everything at once so I did the root canal the next day...

View more questions Search