Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlkjmoore Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2012, 01:09 PM
    Does child support have to be paid if it says in the decree 18 and or graduation
    Does child support still need to be paid if the divorce decree states 18 and or graduation?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 7, 2012, 01:13 PM
    18 and or graduation
    There's your answer.
    After that point the child is consider an adult so no longer requires support.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 7, 2012, 01:18 PM
    If the child is still 12, it does, if the child is now 18, no or if the child graduates no
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 7, 2012, 02:15 PM
    Unfortunately that wording is too vague. Graduation of what, high school, college? If your child is 18 and you wish to halt payments you will need to go back to the court that issued the decree and get clarification. You can't just decide to stop support on your own.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 7, 2012, 02:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Unfortunately that wording is too vague. Graduation of what, high school, college? If your child is 18 and you wish to halt payments you will need to go back to the court that issued the decree and get clarification. You can't just decide to stop support on your own.
    The key is the redundent phrase "and or". Whoever inserted that wasn't thinking too clearly. If they had meant 18 and graduation, they should have said so. Because the use of "and or" means that child support ends when the first condition (age 18), and the second condition (graduation from something), or either condition applies. If the child has reached age 18, it is not necessary that he/she has graduated.

Similarly, the custodian of a 12 year old child prodigy who has graduated from medical school no longer is entitled to child support. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you sue for back child support if there is no decree set? [ 5 Answers ]

Can you sue for back child support if there was no court order at that time?

Child support in CA beyond high school graduation [ 3 Answers ]

My son is turning 18 in May & graduating high school in June. He will be a full time student in college, unmarried, and not self-supporting. What can I do to enforce his father to continue paying child support? Is there a way to file my petition in court?

Child Support and Divorce Decree [ 3 Answers ]

In my divorce decree, my ex and I were awarded joint legal custody with primary physical care and custody with me. My son has autism, and after the divorce I had another child. Due to my concern for my newborn, my son had violent tendencies, I asked his father if he could stay with him for a...

Claiming Child Support Payments Without Decree? [ 3 Answers ]

I made child support payments to my spouse in 2008 for 11 months before the divorce was finalized in December 2008. Is there anyway to claim or otherwise file these payments made to my spouse before the divorce decree?

Child Support Defined within Divorce Decree [ 4 Answers ]

New York State - I am hubby's second marriage -when his first wife divorced him -he ignorantly waived getting representation. He claims he had no means -and it is water under the bridge at this point -however - on the matter of child support - It is defined in the agreement that every year,...

View more questions Search