Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sgarufi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2012, 04:33 PM
    Modular house ceiling problem
    I have a modular house upstate New York which is 9 years old. The ceiling keeps cracking in the same area where the 2 parts of the house join together.
    Contacted manufacturer and was told that I should cut out a section of sheetrock
    Of the ceiling and have a new piece that I'm inserting being 2 feet each side of the main beam. Did this and still keeps cracking in the same area. I keep the house at 40 degrees when not in use. Told this might be the problem. I took out a part of the living room wall to make the room bigger. Can this also be a part of the problem. Thanks for your help in this matter.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2012, 04:32 PM
    The part of the house you are dealing with is under tension. Does your ceiling sheet span two sections of the house. Not sure why the house is in two contiguous sections, is it on a slope? You may need to settle for a less seamless join where the join is covered by a "cornice" or cover strip attached to only one section of the house

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why does our modular home ceiling continue to crack ? [ 1 Answers ]

We had a modular put up in 2002. It is a Cape style home, with the second floor in the roof line. On the first floor, the living room goes the full depth of the house, from front to rear. The ceiling cracks, right where the modular was put together, every year. We are in Vermont, and the...

Modular Home with wall, ceiling cracks, etc. [ 3 Answers ]

I purchased a modular home just over three years ago. I guess over a year now I have started getting thin cracks in the walls and ceiling and the crown moulding started separating. I also have problems with the pantry doors and storm doors not always closing properly. Just recently, there has...

Will a coleman evcon heatpump work on a house? It shows to be a modular unit [ 4 Answers ]

I have an opportunity to buy an almost new exterior unit and will need to get heat strips for my home. I do not want to do this if it will not work..

Insulating vaulted ceiling in a modular home [ 3 Answers ]

I have a modular home with vaulted ceilings throughout most of the house. The blown-in insulation that was put in place while building the home, settled to the outside edges of the house when it was moved 1,000 miles to my homesite. I was considering more blown-in insulation, but, when I inquired...

Modular house in PDX, OR [ 1 Answers ]

I want to move to PDX. OR in about 8 years. What are your opinions on a modular home? We want to kind of design it ourselves. My sister and I will want 2 master suites, 1 guest room, a great room with an open kitchen and if possible an apartment over a 3 car garage. Is this kind of owner designing...

View more questions Search