Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SteveD Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2004, 09:15 AM
    Washer leaks when shower is on
    Hi - got a new washing machine and it is hooked into the same hot & cold lines that supply my shower in the next room. When I turn on the bath or shower my washer trickles water, but stops when I shut off the shower. It does not appear to happen when any other faucets are on.

Sears says there is nothing wrong with the machine since the valve closes fine, except in this instance and suggests that it is a water pressure issue.

I'm on a well but have a fairly new pump and pressure tank.

Any ideas?

Thanks - Steve
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 2, 2004, 10:59 AM
    Washer leaks when shower is on
    Hey Steve,
    Did Sears come out and check out the electromagnetic inlet valve? They should have because that's the only way water enters the washer. Let me set up an scenario that would give you the problem you describe. I don't think you have a "pressure issue" as the average pump pressure runs between 40 and 50 PSI. The washer valve's designed to handle that kind of pressure---UNLESS--- ( And here's the scenario) When you open the tub and/or shower valve, or turn it off, the line pressure will fluctuate. If the washer inlet valve has a week or faulty spring then it would let water leak into the washer when the pressure fluctuation hits the spring actuated shut off valve.
    Get that valve changed and I'll bet your troubles will disappear. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower leaks to basement [ 1 Answers ]

The hot water pipe is leaking down to the basement. I removed the Compression fixture and replaced the stem washer thinking this was the cause. Also I made sure the fixture was secure and tight. The leak is a slow one, the drip, drip kind. The leak runs down the pipe. Maybe there is another...

Faucet behind my washer leaks [ 2 Answers ]

The hot water faucet leaks when I use my washer. I have turned the faucet off, but it still leaks. Only when the washer is in use. It is leaking from The neck not the spout. If that makes sense. What Should I do?

Washer leaks at drain [ 3 Answers ]

The drain pipe in the bottom rear of my washer leaked when I moved to clean floor behind it. When I removed clamp, about a quart of water flowed out which I guess means it did not drain completely. What should I do?

Washer hot water line leaks [ 1 Answers ]

I just moved into a new to me house and I am having a problem with the hot water line to the washer! The hose screws on just fine to the faucet but when the water is turned on there is a small leak. I thought maybe the hose was not any good, bought another one, and still the same problem exists....

New shower drain leaks [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, looking for some expert plumbing advice... My new showewr drain leaks around the exterior of the drain between the grout and the drain itself. I have torn out the tiles around the drain and now need to seal the drain to the floor and seal it up to the tiles to prevent the leakage. (does...

View more questions Search