Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    baovle Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2012, 11:59 AM
    How to report dividends on multiple funds in one 1099-DIV form
    I received a 1099-DIV from The Hartford Mutual Funds and in there it listed 5 funds separately with their own dividends and capital gain distributions. When reporting this source in my Federal tax return, do I add up the numbers in each category (e.g. ordinary dividends, etc) and report the total in its respected category?

Thanks,
    Bao
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 5, 2012, 12:08 PM
    If the numbers are reported separately for each account you should report them that way on your return. That's because the payer is the individual fund, not Hartford Mutual. This also makes it easier to double check your entries to verify you don't make a mistake.

Apr 5, 2012, 12:17 PM
    Thanks ebaine,

In the top left of the form it says Payer name is: THE HARTFORD MUTUAL FUNDS, but in each fund below it lists PAYER'S Fed ID number differently:

Fund: THE HARFORD SMALL COMPANY FUND-A (Payer's Fed id: 06-1455341)
    Fund: THE HARFORD CAPITAL APPRECIATION-A (Payer's Fed id: 06-1455339)

Do I still follow your advice to report each one separately?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 5, 2012, 12:32 PM
    List each separate on Schedule B.

If you are using tax software, list each fund under a separare Form 1099-DIV masque.

Apr 5, 2012, 02:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    List each separate on Schedule B.

If you are using tax software, list each fund under a separare Form 1099-DIV masque.
    Thanks AtlantaTaxExpert.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 5, 2012, 02:22 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax on 1099-div qualified dividends for Indian citizen [ 1 Answers ]

I changed my visa from F1/OPT to H1B in October last year. Reading response to some of the questions it seems I have to file 1040-NR this year. My question is related to 1099 forms. As far as I know I don't have to pay any taxes on 1099-INT , however I have question about the taxes on 1099-div...

How to report form 1099-A [ 1 Answers ]

I am helping my brother to do his tax return for 2004. Yes Late. How do I report form 1099-A :confused: Please help Thanks

How to report 1099-DIV? [ 1 Answers ]

I received a 1099-DIV with, lets say, $70.00 in box 1a and box 1b. I still hold the stock which has a "paper loss". Do I still have to report the amount in box 1a. And what can be done with box 1b? Thank you for any help with this matter. I always do my own taxes (the old school way), and...

F1 Scholarship Form 1099-MISC where to report? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am an international student, and last year I won a scholarship offered by a national newspaper. I received Form 1099-MISC from this newspaper, and the amount of my scholarship appears in Box 3 of this form. Also, I received Form 1098-T from an organization which gave me a scholarship...

Form 1099 received, but do I report on Form 1040 or just Form 2106? [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings. I'm hoping I can get some help on what to do with a 1099-MISC form I received from my employer that were for business expense reimbursements. I have read through some questions and answers already and based on them I'm going to file this as a Form 2106. The question is should I...

View more questions Search