Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    soggytophill Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2012, 07:48 PM
    Cost to raise roof for add-on v2nd story
    Looking for a ball-park estimate on how much it would cost to raise the roof of an addition to our 1900's Indiana farmhouse so we can start saving. We would like to raise it about 6 feet to tie into the rest of the roofline and put in 2 bedrooms and a bathroom. We'd like to do as much demo and finishing work but have no experience framing, plumbing, electrical, or hvac. We were planning on re-roofing and doing the drywall/flooring ourselves. The area is about 400 sq ft. The foundation is brick crawlspace and the dirt around is solid clay. Would the foundation be able to support the additional weight also?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 4, 2012, 08:40 PM
    You will have to get a engineer to come in and do a survey on not only the foundation, but the support beams, the support from the first floor. Next what type of beams and supports. Most attic floors ( or your ceiling beams) are not proper to support.. You will need have it all investigated.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2012, 01:09 AM
    The first thing you need to do is get a certified architect to make detailed drawings and specs of your project.

Then get at lest 3 bids on the job using the drawings as the guide lines for contractors. Using a General Contractor costs a little more then using separate contractors for each trade. The advantage of a GC is that he will do all the coordinating for the trades.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Second story of house built on existing flat roof [ 5 Answers ]

My home, which is about 40 years old, started as a one story home. Some years ago, a second story addition was built on top of the existing roof. Every thing seems structurally sound. However, the floor is not level. It has the pitch of the original roof (1/8 inch per foot) left the floor unlevel. ...

Roof Truss cut to add a drop staircase for access to the attic [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking at a house where the trusses in the attic have been cut to add a drop down staircase for access to it. Does this put the roof in an unsafe condition of collapsing or is it okay if its not to a load bearing location.

Raise framing house cost [ 1 Answers ]

What is the cost difference between lifting (2') up the house and lower the basement? Which one is the better solution?

Adding a 3rd story using a gambrel roof [ 2 Answers ]

I'd like to add a 3rd story/gambrel roof to my house. I believe that I could do a semi-cathedral ceiling using plywood gusset plates in place of ceiling joists but can I also push the knee bracing (interior walls) outward to give more room space or do they have to meet at the joint where the upper...

View more questions Search