Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KonSerned Uncle Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2012, 10:22 AM
    Custody of nephew
    I have to ask, if my sister and her boyfriend are showing neglect (not deliberate) I just think they are not fit to be parents to my nephew of just over 3mnths. They can't feed him right, don't stimulate him, and yesterday I was told he'd rolled of a changing table 3ft off the floor. Social services are going to get involved more as he was already on the register and child watch. What are the chances that I could gain custody and give up my job to look after him? I have been in the care system from a very young age and although my experience wasn't bad I know others have been awful, I really don't want him to go through any of that. What are my options please??
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 4, 2012, 11:51 AM
    First, its not a good idea to piggyback your question on another thread. To avoid confusion I've moved your question to its own thread.

Your bast bet is to let social services know you are willing to foster the child and ask that he be placed with you.

Apr 5, 2012, 10:26 AM
    Thank you very much, sorry but was new to this site. Will talk to social services my only worry is I have no experience with babies as I have no children of my own. All my friends have kids so I'm around them a lot but no hands on experience with a baby as young as my nephew. How will they deal with that predicament?

Apr 5, 2012, 10:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KonSerned Uncle View Post
    thankyou very much, sorry but was new to this site. Will talk to social services my only worry is I have no experience with babies as i have no children of my own. All my friends have kids so i'm around them alot but no hands on experience with a baby as young as my nephew. How will they deal with that predicament?
    They will do an assessment before they agree to use you as a foster parent. You may have to go for parenting classes.

Apr 5, 2012, 11:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    They will do an assessment before they agree to use you as a foster parent. You may have to go for parenting classes.
    . Also could I afford to look after a baby if I give up work? Would I receive help and support like health visitors and things?

Apr 5, 2012, 11:52 AM
    If you are planning on going on the public dole to take care of this child, forget it. That will not be allowed. They will place the child with someone who can afford to care her.

Apr 14, 2012, 02:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    If you are planning on going on the public dole to take care of this child, forget it. That will not be allowed. They will place the child with someone who can afford to care her.
    Do you know what palms assessment is?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 14, 2012, 02:49 PM
    You will barely get enough money though foster care to care for the child, you will have to have income to pay rent, utilities and food and more, and all of your care. So I assumed you were married or had a partner and they were working to support you. So no you can not give up your job or you would be homeless with the child.

If you got guardianship the mom and dad would be expected to pay child support.

And except for the fall, the knowing how to feed or stimulate may be said for perhaps 1/2 the parents and are not really issues unless the child is not being feed.
    So why don't you go and help teach them how to care for the child, if it is not their fault, and they just don't know better, help them and show them how it is done?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to get custody of my nephew [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend and myself are thinking about getting custody of our 3month old nephew, and I'm not sure how to get the ball rolling. My boyfriends younger brother and his 17yr old girlfriend just had a baby, which neither of them were really ready for. The girl and the baby are living at her drug...

How to get custody of my nephew [ 4 Answers ]

My brother and his girlfriend are not good parents and well they should have never had a kid . Well my nephew is 5 years old and I spend most my time with him . His mother is reading most the time or doing something and well my brother is on a game almost all day and night . I might be a kid...

How to get custody of my nephew [ 3 Answers ]

My sister is ill and her boyfriend, the father, is not a well suited father and his very choices he makes in his life make him unsuited.For instance, he is a drug abuser. My sister knows that I am going to try and get custody but her boyfriend, the father, does not. How can I get custody of my...

Think I need to take custody of nephew in Nj [ 1 Answers ]

My sister is bipolar/Borderline, she is not taking medication and has started a relationship with a man in NY she just met last month. (divoricd 3 times, many kids) She is planning on moving next month from PA to NY (on canada border) and marry this guy (who lost custody of his own children and a...

Custody of my nephew [ 2 Answers ]

I am wanting to have guardianship of my nephew who is being negleted. How do I go about it legally? What are some of my obstacles? Please give me some help.

View more questions Search