Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sandeep_guha Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 11:06 PM
    Post dated checks in US Banking
    I would like to know if post dated checks are used in US Banking?Say for example in take a loan for 50000$ Tenure :12 months.I give my bank 12 future dated checks.How is this condition handled in US banking.

Thanks
    Sandeep
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 27, 2007, 09:15 PM
    No US banks do not do this, they merely expect you to pay when the monthly payment is due, or send a statement

In some loan companies, it has been done, but I would worry about any bank that asked for that.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2007, 09:32 PM
    In giving a post dated check - what guarantee do you have that the checks will be held until the date? My neighbor gave three post dated checks to her dentist and the dentist ran all three through the bank at once and the bank let them go through.

Many companies will not accept post dated checks, because they do not have the guarantee that the writer's bank account will be open, let's say, six months down the road. So the check would not be good.

In some states, e.g. Wisconsin. On August 1, 1996 the state Statutes regarding post-dated checks were changed. A bank may now pay a post-dated check before the date on the check unless the customer notifies the bank not to pay it.

It is always best to check with the state laws and codes as to their rulings on post dated checks.
    missk Posts: 517, Reputation: 44

Mar 13, 2007, 04:01 PM
    I worked at a bank for almost six years and we had a lot of check training. Post dating a check means absolutely nothing in the banking world. Anyone can deposit or cash a check at anytime no matter what the date is on the check.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to make entry for post dated cheque? [ 10 Answers ]

Hello Friends, Last week I faced an interview for accountant post. In that I was asked to pass an entry for post dated cheque. What is the answer for this queston? Thank You

Post dating checks [ 23 Answers ]

Is it ever legal to post date a check?

Post dated cheques--recourse against wrong practice by some BANKS in AMERICA [ 5 Answers ]

I shall be out of station for 6 months and am required to make some monthly payments like for future rent,electricity,water,telephone insurance,etc. If I issue post dated cheques , as per the due dates of payments, to be paid against my future monthly salary to be credited to my bank a/c every...

Never dated [ 7 Answers ]

Hi Guys, I'm 27 years old and aside from still being a virgin (which sucks), I've never ever been on a date EVER! My parents were a bit protective (typical Indian parents) and until age 21, dating wasn't a big option or priority... on the bright side, I do have my own place (beautiful...

Dated cheque [ 2 Answers ]

I have a cheque dated from 2004 from canada, just woundering if the cheque expires after a certain date or it just stays good indefinetly.

View more questions Search