Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LIZ PAPPAS Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2012, 02:23 PM
    Have made monthly payments to water co. Now they threatin a lien on house
    THERE WAS A WATER LEAK IN MY LINE 2 YR AGO.THE VILLAGE SAID THE BILL WAS 74? $ mediated it down to 34? $. I tarted making monthly payments added on top of my normal mo'ly water bill. Now the want 30? $ by may or they will put a lean on my house. CAN THEY?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 2, 2012, 02:31 PM
    How was it mediated down? Is it all in writing with a written agreement?
    Was there a written payment agreement?

Have they sued you in court for the money ? They will have to sue you and get a judgement before they can put a lien on the home

Apr 2, 2012, 02:37 PM
    Is there really a
    I need d to know if there really is a "law" that if you are showing good faith intent to pay. By making monthly payments. Or is this a wives tale?
    Expert

Apr 2, 2012, 02:44 PM
    Just a myth. If you do not have a written agreement for payments they may always sue you and continue collections. If you are making large enough payments normally they will work with you, but if you are not paying enough to even cover interest they have no reason to try and work with you.

Apr 2, 2012, 02:45 PM
    Is there really a law about good faith payments
    I have been making good faith payments monthly on a large -and unexpected bill- I thought this would protect me till it was paid. But they sent a certified letter to say ; pay all b/4 may or they will put a lien on my house.
    Is the good faith intention to pay off a wives tale??
    Can they put a lien on my house?
    Expert

Apr 2, 2012, 02:56 PM
    They can not put a lien on the house ( unless this is for taxes or government bill) without suing you in court and getting a judgement. Even then some states will not allow a lien on your home with a homestead exemption. But they can often garnish your pay and attach all of your bank accounts.

Have they already sued you in court and got a judgement ?

Did they actually say they will put a lien on your home in the letter ( often threatening is illegal, so save the letter)

What type of debt is this? If for example this is unpaid property taxes or easements against the property, then they may have rights not given normally to debtors.

Also was this for repair to the house, they can put what is called a mechancis lien on a home for repair work they do to the home.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 2, 2012, 03:50 PM
    Your threads have been merged since they pertain to the same issue and will help us answer both questions.

A utility company may be able to place a lien without court action.

I would suggest that you go back to whatever agency mediated the settlement and ask for their help. Or go to your local Public Services Commission (which usually oversees utilities). If that fails, go to local media. Many have consumer advocates who may be able to help.

Don't worry too much about them placing a lien. A lien will only matter if you go to sell the house.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 2, 2012, 07:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LIZ PAPPAS View Post
    THERE WAS A WATER LEAK IN MY LINE 2 YR AGO.THE VILLAGE SAID THE BILL WAS 74??$ mediated it down to 34??$. I tarted making monthly payments added on top of my normal mo'ly water bill. Now the want 30??$ by may or they will put a lean on my house. CAN THEY?
    What country are you in? Because you are using a very strange method of writing figures.

The bill was $74.00, mediated down to $34.00 and now they want $30.00? That is not a lot of money, is it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The house is in my name, and I have made all payments. Can I keep it in a divorce? [ 5 Answers ]

I ordered a house before we got married. It was supposed to be done in November, but was not ready until May. We got married in December before the house was ready. I have made all the payments out of my salary and the title for the house is in my name. It has been 8 years. My husband is having...

Should I be receiving monthly payments? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband was hurt on the job and is now blind he receives ssi benefit and medicare his doctor appointed me as his caregiver and I was told that I should receive some sort of caregiver income is this true and how do I go about getting it?

Retirement /monthly payments [ 1 Answers ]

Mr. Wise is retiring in 25 years. He would like to accumulate $1,000,000 for his retirement fund by then. He plans make equal monthly payments to achieve his goal. If the rate of return on the retirement fund is 12%, what will his monthly payments be?

Is the water lien on my mothers house reversible if they made an error? [ 5 Answers ]

My mother owed a large water bill. The dep sent out notices in march 2008, saying customers needed to come in before may 19 and come into a payment agreement or they would sell the water lien. She went on march 13 , 2008 and they told her she had to give 900.00 downpayment for an agreement & she...

View more questions Search