Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaffeyjoeblaze Posts: 157, Reputation: 16

Apr 2, 2012, 02:58 AM
    Dog Grooming for Pom Mix?
    We have a 4 month old Pom/Yorkie mix... and I'm unsure on haircuts for a dog like this... I have read elsewhere that a Pom type's hair will not grow back out correctly or fuzzy like it initially was... any suggestions?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Apr 2, 2012, 05:00 AM
    I've never dealth with breed before, but I amsure if you do some research on groomers and talk to a few they would be able to answer most of your questions. I found a site that gives you step by step to do it yourself, I hope it helps! : Grooming Your Pet Pomeranian
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2012, 11:40 PM
    The thing is with mixed breeds you never know how to coat will turn out, it could lean more towards a Pom coat or it could be more of the Yorkie..

If it's a Pom coat then all you need to do is brush, if it's continuosly growing like a yorkie then a number 5 blade over the body would be a good idea.

When I groom a yorkie, shih tzu, maltese etc in a pet clip I clip the body nice and short but leave feathering on the legs and head so they still have that cute fuzzy look with much less maintenance involved.

With double coated breeds like Pomerianians, Huskies etc they don't need to be clipped at all, the couble coat acts an insulation against both heat and cold.
    jaffeyjoeblaze Posts: 157, Reputation: 16

Apr 3, 2012, 11:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    The thing is with mixed breeds you never know how to coat will turn out, it could lean more towards a Pom coat or it could be more of the Yorkie..

If it's a Pom coat then all you need to do is brush, if it's continuosly growing like a yorkie then a number 5 blade over the body would be a good idea.

When I groom a yorkie, shih tzu, maltese etc in a pet clip I clip the body nice and short but leave feathering on the legs and head so they still have that cute fuzzy look with much less maintenance involved.

With double coated breeds like Pomerianians, Huskies etc they don't need to be clipped at all, the couble coat acts an insulation against both heat and cold.
    Good info, from what I notice, she has a pom coat on her body and her legs and head have a yorkie coat that isn't fuzzy like the pom coat on her body

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog grooming - Dog hates legs shaved or cut what do I do? [ 3 Answers ]

My cockapoo doesn't like his legs or belly cut or shaved after a bad experience with a groomer. He got cut on the belly! Ive tried other groomers but he reacts so bad no one wants to take him again. Im going to try at home myself. Any tips on how to calm him or deal with him when I get around to...

Help for dog with grooming rash [ 3 Answers ]

Help for dog with grooming rash

10 year old Pom-Eskimo mix won't eat [ 4 Answers ]

Fluffy has been eating less and less, she is losing weight -her tail is down instead of usually being curled up on her back. She sleeps a lot more than usual and only gets excited when she goes for a walk. As soon we return she is back looking tired and depressed. She will eat a little "people...

Dog Crying after grooming [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, 2 days ago I had my cocker spaniel groomed professionally for the first time. Usually my husband has done her grooming. Since she has been groomed she acts as if she has a piece of poo stuck on her butt, she does not want to walk and when she does walk she walks as if trying to hide her...

View more questions Search