Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ldrs_suck Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2012, 10:51 PM
    Long distance relationship break up... help!
    My boyfriend lives in another country. We've been friends for around 3 years, and started dating about 4 months ago. We started dating when he was visiting, and then I visited, and now he's visiting me... only I really want to break it off. Long distance is ROUGH, and I found myself during the 3 months we were apart losing a lot of my romantic interest in him. My emotions have sort of returned full circle back to friendship, and I feel like I'm lying to him by staying in this relationship. I've tried to make myself keep feeling for him, but there's only so much I can force it. For the last month or two I've been miserable.

I didn't want to break up with him right before he came to visit (he has a lot of other friends here besides me, and I didn't want to make him cancel, also because of how expensive it would be) and now I don't want to break up with him while he's here because it will ruin his vacation. I know it will obviously be preferable to do it in person, but we've got another week before he goes home and a lot of other mutual friends are coming into town to see him, and it will just make things an awful mess. I also obviously don't want to drop it on him right before he goes on a 9 hour flight back home.

He's not stupid and knows something's wrong, and is getting increasingly frustrated by my being distant and a bit depressed. I don't know what to do right now. No matter what, it's going to break his heart and I'll be the bad guy in my group of friends for a while, but every day that goes by I feel more miserable and racked with guilt, while telling myself it's in everyone's best interest that I wait until he's back in his home country before I tell him. I think things are probably going to blow up before we get that far though. If he asked me outright if I wanted to break up, I couldn't lie to him. The mutual friends who are coming this week are also going to be on their vacations to visit, and it would suck for their trips to be all about our breakup, which is inevitable if it happens first, regardless of if I offer to stay home the whole time they're in town so they can hang out with him alone, and probably talk about how awful I am for dumping such a great guy. The whole thing is a giant mess and I feel like I'm stuck pretending to be his girlfriend until something breaks.

I would really like another opinion, or some advice.
    Cloe_l Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Apr 2, 2012, 01:23 AM
    My ex broke up with me over cam, 2weeks after my visit. We were also in a long distance relationship. I wish he had the guts to do it face to face during my visit. This way it felt like the relationship didn't mean anything to him.
    jaffeyjoeblaze Posts: 157, Reputation: 16

Apr 2, 2012, 02:10 AM
    I would save him the time and money and just break up, don't wait for him... he will greatly appreciate the money he saved and it will be the only positive in this whole break up
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 2, 2012, 11:44 PM
    There is never a good time to break up, but its best to let your partner know as soon as you know. Anything less is dishonest, and will save no hurt feelings. Break ups suck whenever they happen, so be straight and honest about it.
    BK201 Posts: 338, Reputation: 150

Apr 3, 2012, 05:37 AM
    Do not drag this and make it more difficult.. more this prolongs, more painful to severe..
    Plans can be altered, tickets can be canceled..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

She needs a break in a long distance relationship [ 3 Answers ]

Well basically she has just informed to that she has lost her feelings for me and sees no future together.. She just started a very stressful job and Ii have my own problems too.. I got to somehow convince her on taking a break from me for a week and the big day is coming soon.. This is a no...

Long distance relationship break-up [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been together for a year and a half. Both are military and have been living together for the past 8 months. He had the opportunity to separate from the military, because his enlistment was up and he wanted to go to school to make something of himself. Because there is no...

He wants to take a break in a long distance relationship [ 26 Answers ]

Hi all! Ok I'll try and make this short. We were dating 2 years in NY and then he moved to CA for work. It's been an additional 4 yrs. Making it a 6 yr relationship.. Throughout we were fine! But he was always iffy on marriage.. very afraid, his parents divorced late in life and he says...

Long distance relationship break up [ 17 Answers ]

Hi I'm new here... decided to do a post of my story to see what you guys and girls think :) I was in a LDR with my ex (my first bf) for nearly 3 years and late last year we both weren't really communicating as much as we should have cause I was busy with university and he was busy with work and...

Long distance relationship/she wants a break [ 15 Answers ]

:confused: hi everyone I'm new here and I want immediately some answers... I was in a relationship with this girl back home for 1,5 years.we loved each other but sometimes cause I was jealous I made her cry and she didn't know what to do.. she loved a lot and I loved her too. This year I came to...

View more questions Search